View Single Post
Unread Apr 3rd, 2007, 05:54 pm
eslHQ Member

marie777 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A humiliating day - help required

Hi

The last teacher had his own laptop I think. He was American, had a lot more experience and could speak fluent Chinese, he was very popular with the students, although some have admitted he spoke too much Chinese in the classroom. The students are used to the American accent and not the English accent.

The students ages are 17, at one school the teacher said I do not need to use the book, the students are at a lower level of English at this school and last week the topic I covered was describing people, this went down well as they thought it was funny describing each other.

This will definately not work with the other school who are a little of a higher level and seem to not be so easy going in what I teach. Maybe I will speak to the headmistress and say the students don't want me to teach the book and gage her reaction. After trying the game that seemed to flop so badly and having to think of topics that they are happy with for a year, I am not looking forward to the year ahead, with no photocopier, printer or computer and 60 teenagers it feels very difficult.

Thanks for your advice, its very much needed with my lack of experience.