View Single Post
Unread Apr 6th, 2007, 01:55 am
EFL Teacher

DaveESL is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A humiliating day - help required

I'd just like to add my support. Try not to worry too much, and just take it as a learning experience. We all have classes that go very badly. And when you're put in a bad situation (too many students, little institutional support, etc.) that makes it even harder.

I like the idea of involving the computers, but (as someone who is also teaching large groups in China) I doubt that students would really stay on task. And watching videos is fine, but I don't personally spend a lot of class time doing that.

I like what your trying to do as far as getting the students to let you know what they're interested in learning about. In my experience, Chinese students don't seem to be used to the idea of taking part in shaping their classes, though, so it might take a while. I'm currently in the midst of doing this with my classes (50 or so 18-19 year-olds) and I'm starting to make headway. I just try to make it very clear to them that they need to share some of the responsibility for deciding content, because I don't know what they're interested in unless they tell me.

Try to make them feel like part of the team. Acknowledge that sometimes some lessons may be boring, and try to get them to help come up with ways of learning that are more engaging to them. This runs the risk of them seeking cop-outs like watching movies, though. Anyways.

Good luck. You're doing fine, and the fact that you're reflecting on your teaching and trying to improve it puts you head and shoulders above the crowd.

Take care,
Dave