View Single Post
Unread Feb 2nd, 2014, 07:06 am
eslHQ Member

Claire3 is on a distinguished road
Default TEFL to a 4 year old

Hi there,

I have had no teacher training and no experience of teaching English. I havebeen offered a job teaching English (as a foreign language) and maths to a 4 year old boy on his own. The family have quite high standards of their children and I have been asked to tutor the child for 6/7 hours per day, although the family have made it clear that they do not expect all of this time to be spent with books/paperwork and do understand the need for some games, activities and excursions.

When I met the family the boy had had a bad day. He was angry, rebellious and extremely shy. The family appeared to put a lot of pressure on their children academically and were very worried that the boy was reluctant to read.

If I did things the way I think best I would simply befriend the boy and allow him to lead – following his own natural play and activities while accompanying them with talking and encouraging him in discussion. I think the prime importance is that he gain a positive view of English and learning.

However this is probably not the way the family would want me to do things. The agency that employ me have said I will primarily be a 'governess' to the boy. I'm not sure what that means. I have also been asked to give them a list of the 'materials' I will need.

Does any one have any ideas of lessons, activities, games, resources, books or how to get such a very young child (4 years old) interested and learning English and Maths? He is Russian so he doesn't even have the same alphabet. However his mother says he understands some English.

Please help.

Thanks.

P.s. They also want me to tutor their 11 year old daughter for an hour in English each day, saying this would be to familiarise her with the upcoming curriculum in the new English school she is about to attend. How do I go about this? How can I find out what the curriculum will be? Thanks.