View Single Post
Unread Aug 7th, 2014, 03:13 pm
eslHQ Member

Heikezelle is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Teaching with no textbooks

Hello,
I can really understand that this must be a difficult situation for someone who has little experience. But I can tell you that in the country were I am living I often have made the experience that I was given a very vage framework, for example: teach the verb can or introduce into the usage of past simple. There seemed to be an endless gap before me and everything was up to me.
What you have to do is to please the school management and - the school inspectorate, because it seems to be for them that everything has to be written down in some report.
What I did:
- I planned each lesson carefully making sure that it included the syllable requirements.
- Than I went in search for material to fill in the lessons.
- As I have learnt at university and the tradition in my country says that games are a very
good way of learning, I chose to teach mostly by games. Among others I used this link:
http:// ESL Classroom Games to make teaching English easy and fun! and I found a games book for training all kinds of grammar structure, vocabulary and listening, and speaking.
Here I can give you one example for grammar:
For example: if there was 'WH- Questions in the present simple' I chose a game like: Board Game to revise question words. It is a competitive game and the class competes in teams to translate the question words. I used the activity ´Make a sentence or a question´ to compete in making whole questions. The team who is ready to say a whole question rings a bell or presses a buzz.
At the end of a lesson we played ´Snowball´ - a communicative activity where the pupils have to throw ´snow balls´ at each other´ and who was hit had to answer a question wrapped in white paper.
All activities were fun activities in which the students got very involved.
Good luck