View Single Post
Unread May 19th, 2007, 11:42 pm
EFL Teacher

DaveESL is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How long do you expect to stay in TESL?

I've been thinking about this a lot. I recently did an MA degree, but I still wouldn't say that I plan on teaching forever. I like teaching, though, and don't have much interest in running an English school. I would be interested in publishing a textbook at some point, and enjoy making materials.

I find it pretty easy to make money doing EFL (at least by the local standards of wherever I happen to live) so I could see taking a year or two off in a few years to try something else. One thing that my girlfriend and I have talked about is starting an environmental ed / outdoor experience school. We'll see.

Long term, though, I just don't know. I mean, we live a pretty lowkey lifestyle (consumption-wise) so we could pretty easily work 5 or 10 years in a "high salary" place like Japan or the Middle East and then retire somewhere like Thailand. I'm 30, btw. I don't know what I'd like to do next, though.

Right now, the plan is stay in Zhangjiajie for one more year so that my girlfriend can finish her environmental education project. Then, move somewhere more beautiful, probably near the ocean. After that, who knows?

Dave