View Single Post
Unread Jun 4th, 2007, 01:38 am
Sue

susan53 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Which is correct? Connect with or connect to?

Quote:
Quote Denis DNT
Sample sentences

1. I have been trying to connect to / with you in vain.
2. If you connect this device to / with your computer / TV you can....
3. Are you connected to / with foreign channels?
4. To get a good job you need to be connected to / with someone ...
5. Meet Jeff, he is connected to / with many schools.
According to the Cobuild dictionary :

A. connect something to something = join one end of X to one end of Y : Connect the hose pipe to the tap and your example 2. But personally I'd also use with. On Google I found this, which actually uses both in exactly the same context - Handhelds connect with USB On-the-Go - ZDNet UKA variation of USB will enable handhelds and other devices to connect directly to printers or to each other

B. Connect something with something = make it possible to pass from X to Y : We're putting in another flight to connect Brussels directly with Manchester. Again, personally I'd also use to. Google came up with Arrive SAO PAULO and connect with flight to CUIABA and KLM flights to Amsterdam connect to most of the rest of Europe

C.to be connected with something/someone = to be related to or involved with something : Good health is connected with diet. and your examples 4+5. Once more I'd also use to and Google agrees : A Brazilian man killed by police in south London was unconnected to Thursday's attacks police confirm.as well as Writers and Books connected with Essex

That leaves your examples 1 and 3 - which I don't think I'd ever say. I'd use :

1. get in touch with you or contact you. For me, to connect with someone means to be on the same wavelength or to relate mentally to someone. Example from Google : Gordon Brown - We must listen, learn and connect with voters. But also on Google I found : Networking – how to meet and connect with the people you need to know which is ambiguous. Is it my meaning or similar to your example 1?

3. Can you get/receive foreign channels?

So it seems to me that the two prepositions are actually used more or less interchangeably.

Hope that helps.