eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Jul 1st, 2009, 09:12 pm
eslHQ Member

rkittle1 is on a distinguished road
Smile Homophones Lesson and Games

I am teaching English in Korea and just thought that I would share this lesson with everyone, because it is one of my best lessons so far.

First, I make the lesson last for two class periods. For the first class, I explain what "Homophones" are and let the students give me a couple examples, just to make sure they understand the full concept. Then, we play a kind of rummy card game. Actually, the cards are VERY helpful! They have the words on them, pictures, and definitions of what the words meas. If you are interested in these, you can check them out, or buy them at www.homophonesrummy.com. They are made by a family in Florida. I bought 10 packs and divided my students into groups of 4 and let them play. It took about 5-10 minutes to explain to the students on how to play, but after they started playing, they seemed to really enjoy it and were really excited about playing it.

Then, at the end of the class period, i divided the students into pairs and gave them a wordsearch with homophones. However, it's not just them searching for the word, i give them a sentence with the options of the homophones, and they should choose the correct homophone for the sentence, and then try to find it in the crossword puzzle. Again, I let them do this in pairs.

Then, for the next class period, i created a 'homophones bingo' game. They love this game b/c its bingo. But, as similar to the wordsearch puzzle, i made a powerpoint slide with the different homophones on it and the students should choose the correct word for the sentence, then they can mark it on their bingo card. So, when they get bingo, i make them say the words and spell them to me. So, if they marked the wrong homophone, then they really don't have bingo. (the other students really like it when the others dont have bingo b/c it gives them a better opportunity to win. Because, each time after someone gets bingo, i have them erase their cards and start over). This game pretty much lasts the whole class period. And of course, if a student gets bingo, then i will give them a small prize such as a small piece of candy, etc...

Below, I have included the website for the "homophone rummy" card game, and I've attached a list of the homophones that i use for my bingo game. I also have a powerpoint slide to go along with the bingo game, but i am not able to upload it, sorry.

I hope these games are helpful for whoever reads this!

Homophone Rummy, Educational Card Games, Learn Homophones
Attached Files
File Type: doc More Homophones.doc (25.5 KB, 27 views)