eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Aug 24th, 2018, 01:26 pm
eslHQ Zealot

fface is on a distinguished road
Default go swimming

Hi,

What's the difference between the following sentences?

1. Let's go swimming.
2. Let's go to swim.
3. Let's go and swim.
4. Let's go for a swim.

Can I say 'let's go swim'?

Thank you very much.

Last edited by susan53 : Aug 25th, 2018 at 06:13 am.
Unread Aug 25th, 2018, 07:05 am
Sue

susan53 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: go swimming

First of all, as your title implies, "Let's" is irrelevant here. The question is about what constructions can follow the verb GO. The answer would be the same whether the sentences started Let's go.. / I want to go... / Do you feel like going... / It's ages since we last went... - or any other possible opening.

So, as a brief answer - after "go" any of these constructions are possible. The interesting thing is their relative frequency and the contexts in which they would be used.

1. Let's go V+ ing : Here the -ing form is a gerund and the name of a leisure activity, so really a noun. There are lots like this - swimming, riding, walking , skiing, shopping, fishing etc etc etc and all are used with the verb GO - so eg I usually go shopping on Saturdays; I want to go skiing this winter; It's ages since we last went swimming; Shall we go skating this weekend? Here GO is a strange blend of a lexical verb with the literal meaning of go somewhere and a delexicalised verb which just means "perform the action indicated by the noun (compare do the shopping, have a meeting)When might this be said? Probably not immediately before doing the activity but earlier and in another place - eg at home. Notice too that the construction is limited to sports and leisure activities which are named using the - ing form. It wouldn't be possible to say eg * Let's go seeing Ann this weekend.

2. Let's go to... :
This would be normal with most verbs where GO has a literal meaning - Let's go to see Ann; It's ages since we went to help Mum with her garden; Shall we go to get some petrol? It would be much less likely with the Ving activities I've discussed in point 1 above, and the only possible example I can think of would be something like I'm fed up with the swimming pool. Let's go to swim in the lake this weekend.

3a. Let's go and swim ... : This is an alternative to Let's go to.. So it could be used in any of the examples I've given above: Let's go and see Ann; It's ages since we went and helped Mum with her garden; Shall we go and get some petrol?. But here I could more easily imagine it being used with the Ving activities. For example, if you were on the beach and bored, you might say. It's too hot just to sit here - let's go and swim. Notice the difference in context from point 1 though - you're not planning in advance but are "on the spot" and want to do it immediately. In this context I could also imagine someone saying...

3b. It's too hot just to sit here - let's go swim and similarly Shall we go get some petrol? This would be a fairly informal use though, and obviously can't be used in a past context : *It's ages since we went swim.

Even in an "on the spot" context though, though I think it would be rare and you'd be much more likely to say...

4. Let's go for a swim Quite a lot of leisure activities activities have this option: It's ages since we went for a bike ride; Do you feel like going for a run? Shall we go for a walk? Do you feel like going for a game of tennis? and it can also be used with some other nouns, especially some connected with food and drink: Let's go for a pizza; It's ages since we went for a Chinese meal; Do you feel like going for an ice-cream?. Other examples might be in a therapeutic context : I'm going for a blood test; I'm going for a massage.
It can't be used though if the only way of expressing the activity is a Ving noun - so not, *Let's go for shopping.

So - all the constructions are possible, but they would be used with different verbs and nouns and in different contexts.
Hope that helps.
Unread Aug 26th, 2018, 07:41 am
eslHQ Zealot

Quote:
Quote susan53 View Post

I'm fed up with the swimming pool. Let's go to swim in the lake this weekend.[/i]
Hi susan,

Do you mean usually we don't say I want to go to shop/go to fish/go to swim this weekend?

Could you please explain why 'go to swim' is OK in your example above? And can I use 'go swimming' instead here?

Thank you very much for your great help.
Unread Aug 26th, 2018, 08:04 am
Sue

Yes - I want to go to shop would almost certainly not occur. I want to go shopping or I want to do the shopping instead.
Let's go to swim in the lake would probably mean the person was actually thinking - Let's go to the lake in order to swim there - so to swim becomes an infinitive of purpose. But as I said, it's very unlikely and Let's go swimming in/at the lake sounds much more probable
Unread Aug 31st, 2018, 07:41 am
eslHQ Zealot

Hi susan,

I want to go swimming tomorrow.
I want to go and swim tomorrow.
I want to go for a swim tomorrow.
I want to go swim tomorrow.

Do the sentences above mean exactly the same or is there any subtle difference depending on the context?

Thank you for your kind help.

Last edited by susan53 : Aug 31st, 2018 at 09:46 am.
Unread Aug 31st, 2018, 09:53 am
Sue

More or less the same - but with the caveats I made about context and relative frequency in my last posts. Whether the sentence starts Let's.. or I want to... or with any other introduction makes no difference. And as i said, I want to go swimsounds odd to me as a British English speaker (any speakers of US English or other varieties want to comment??).
Unread Sep 7th, 2018, 08:05 am
eslHQ Zealot

Quote:
Quote susan53 View Post

But here I could more easily imagine it being used with the Ving activities. For example, if you were on the beach and bored, you might say. It's too hot just to sit here - let's go and swim. Notice the difference in context from point 1 though - you're not planning in advance but are "on the spot" and want to do it immediately. In this context I could also imagine someone saying...

[b]3b. It's too hot just to sit here - let's go swim

Even in an "on the spot" context though, though I think it would be rare and you'd be much more likely to say...

[b]4. Let's go for a swim
Hi susan,

In the context about 'on the spot' you gave above, we can say these below and they mean the same thing, right?

It's too hot just to sit here - let's go and swim.
It's too hot just to sit here - let's go swim.
It's too hot just to sit here -Let's go for a swim.

Is it also OK to say 'go swimming' here?

Thank you very much.
Unread Sep 7th, 2018, 09:26 am
Sue

As I said - less likely if the water is in front of you.
Unread Sep 9th, 2018, 03:11 am
eslHQ Zealot

Quote:
Quote susan53 View Post
As I said - less likely if the water is in front of you.
Hi susan,

Do you mean 'go swimming' is less likely to use here if the water in front of you and as you said, if you are not planning in advance but are "on the spot" and want to do it immediately?

Thank you very much.

Last edited by susan53 : Sep 9th, 2018 at 05:19 am.
Unread Sep 9th, 2018, 05:20 am
Sue

Yes, exactly.
Unread Sep 9th, 2018, 01:17 pm
eslHQ Zealot

Hi susan,

Is it correct to say that 'go for a swim' and 'go and swim' can be used in either 'planning in advance' or "on the spot" situation?

Thanks a lot.
Unread Sep 12th, 2018, 09:13 am
Sue

Yes. I'd use them in both situations.
Unread Sep 12th, 2018, 12:33 pm
eslHQ Zealot

Hi susan,

If you are in the water right now (in the pool, in the river or in the sea), is it correct to say these sentences below?

Let's swim.
Let's go for a swim.
Let's go and swim.

Thank you very much.

Last edited by susan53 : Sep 13th, 2018 at 03:04 am.
Unread Sep 13th, 2018, 08:30 am
Sue

Let's swim - possible, but even more likely, Let's have a swim.
But for the others, it depends on what you mean by "in the water". If you're already up to your waist in water (for instance if you're in the sea but have just been standing up and playing with a ball, or in a swimming pool but have been standing an the shallow end for ten minutes talking to a friend), expressions with "go" would make no sense - you don't have to "go" anywhere as you're already there. But if you were just walking along the beach with just your feet in the water, then "go" makes more sense, as you do have to walk further into the water before you can start swimming.
Unread Sep 16th, 2018, 02:47 pm
eslHQ Zealot

Hi susan,

Is there any subtle difference between these sentences below?

1. Let's go to see Ann this Sunday.
2. Le's go and see Ann this Sunday.
3. Let's go see Ann this Sunday.

Thanks a million.

Last edited by susan53 : Sep 17th, 2018 at 03:02 am.
Unread Sep 17th, 2018, 03:03 am
Sue

No - the same. 3 sounds a bit more informal to me and more likely in US than UK English (??) But I'd say all of them.

Sue
Unread Sep 18th, 2018, 04:08 pm
eslHQ Zealot

Hi susan,

What's the difference between go shopping and do the shopping and go window shopping?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by susan53 : Sep 19th, 2018 at 04:09 am.
Unread Sep 19th, 2018, 04:25 am
Sue

It might have been better to start a new thread for this one as you've changed topic slightly and this is getting rather long. However :

1. Do the shopping : means for food, household stuff etc. Eg I'm going to the supermarket to do the shopping. What do you want for dinner tonight? / I forgot to get the milk when I did the shopping this morning / My husband and I always go to the supermarket on Saturday morning and do the shopping for the week.

2. Go shopping : Could be for food etc as above but could also be eg for clothes and other things : examples...
a) I forgot to get the milk when I went shopping this morning. I spent so long in the bookshop that it went right out of my head.
b) I went shopping in the centre of town yesterday and bought a new pair of trousers.

3. Go window shopping is quite different - it means to wander around the shops looking at things but without the intention of actually buying anything that day - possibly because you don't have enough money at the time, or because you want to look at things before deciding, or simply because you enjoy wandering round the shops. Eg I went window shopping in town this morning and saw a pair of trousers which I really liked. They were expensive though. I might go back and get them next week after I get paid. I'll think about it.
Unread Sep 19th, 2018, 03:19 pm
eslHQ Zealot

Hi susan,

Can we also use 'have a swim' in a situation like 'planning in advance'? For example, 'Would you like to have a swim with me tomorrow?'

Thank you so much for your great help.
Unread Sep 20th, 2018, 09:20 am
Sue

As always, it's a matter of context. If the concept of "going" somewhere was irrelevant in the situation, then yes - possibly. For example : two friends A and B are at the lake. A has just been for a swim while B is sunbathing. A comes out of the water and says...
A : Oh that was nice! Aren't you going in?
B: No. I know it's silly, but i'm terrified of water. I can swim a bit - my parents made me learn - but if I can't put my feet on the bottom I just panic.
A: Oh I didn't know that! What a pity. Listen, I have to go now as I'm working this evening but why don't we come back tomorrow and you can have a swim with me. I promise we won't go out of your depth, and I'll be there to support you. The water's so nice - it's a pity not to go in.
B : All right. Let's have a swim tomorrow. Just a little one though!
A : I promise!

Here the two are already at the lake and know that tomorrow it will be the same. So the focus is on the idea of having a swim - not on "going somewhere" for a swim.

Last edited by susan53 : Sep 27th, 2018 at 10:31 am.