eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Sep 9th, 2011, 06:11 pm
A Lifesaver for Cold Days

Oden has disabled reputation
Default if the tuner does not turn on

Hello everyone,

Check the main power cord if the tuner does not turn on. (How to Repair a Stereo Tuner | eHow.com)

Is does correct? Should it have been "will"?

Look behind the television and check the main power cord if it will not turn on. (How to Troubleshoot a DLP TV | eHow.com)

Is will correct? Should it have been "does"?
Unread Sep 10th, 2011, 11:02 am
Sue

susan53 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: if the tuner does not turn on

Could be either. "Will" expresses volition or "willingness", ie agreeing or refusing to do something, often combining this with prediction - eg I'm sure John will help us /If John will help us, all our problems are over. - ie If John is willing to help us...Oddly, in English, machines are often seen as having volition, just lke humans. So just as we might say David won't turn the music down (ie David refuses to turn the music down), we can also say Oh no - the car won't start or, as here, ...if the tuner won't turn on (ie The car "refuses" to start / .. if the tuner "refuses" to turn on)

However, if you don't want to suggest volition, after conjunctions (when/after/before/as soon as/if etc), present verbs are used to describe "straight" future or habitual events : Call me when David arrives / If David doesn't arrive soon, we'll start without him / As soon as the meeting finishes, let's go for coffee.

As ever, grammar expresses meaning, and the grammatical form we choose to use depends on what we want to "mean" - ie our angle on the event. Thus, if I want to "humanise" my car and see it as having a will of its own, then I might say If the car won't start, then I'll have to take the train, whereas if I just see it as an objective future possibility, then I'd choose If the car doesn't start, I'll have to take the train.

Whoever wrote the manual obviously doesn't subscribe to the view that machines have a will of their own. Personally, I'm not so sure
Unread Sep 14th, 2011, 07:26 am
A Lifesaver for Cold Days

Oden has disabled reputation
Default Re: if the tuner does not turn on

Thank you very much, Sue.