eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Jul 25th, 2015, 01:07 pm
eslHQ Addict

Nightedge is on a distinguished road
Default inform

-I'm writing to inform that this course has been changed to Term One. I was not aware of the teaching practice of the Education programme and accidentally arranged the course in term 2.

Are my sentences correct?
Unread Aug 3rd, 2015, 06:32 am
Sue

susan53 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: inform

As always, without knowing the context it's difficult to say exactly. What's the connection between the course, the education programme and the Teaching practice?? Do they clash? I'm presuming that this is the case - if not, the meaning of my rewrite below may not be exactly what you intended :

1. inform is a transitive verb - it must take an object. So the sentence should start : I am writing to inform you that...

2. I would then continue : I am writing to inform you that this course has been rescheduled for Term One. I was not previously aware that scheduling it in Term Two would cause a clash with the teaching practice involved in the Education programme.
Unread Aug 11th, 2015, 12:25 pm
eslHQ Addict

Good answer. Thank you. But for 'scheduling it in Term Two', on the basis of 'arrange sth for __' and 'schedule sth for __', would it be better to use FOR instead of IN?

What I worry about is, FOR is used in these phrases to mean 'sth will take place at that time', not 'the act of arranging or scheduling will take place at that time', which ambiguity might be caused by IN, in my non-native opinion.
Unread Aug 22nd, 2015, 05:21 am
Sue

susan53 is on a distinguished road

I had understood that the programme had already been scheduled and would take place in the terms indicated. That's the automatic interpretation. In that case, you have a choice. The preposition following "schedule" is for, but you talk about something happening in a particular period (here, Term One or Two) - so either preposition can be used.

Stylistically, the less repetition in a text the better - which is probably why, unconsciously, I chose for the first time and in the second. It could have been the other way round or I could have used the same preposition both times, but as I said - avoid repetition if possible when you're writing.

In order to indicate that it was the scheduling of the courses itself that would happen at a particular time, you would have to change the sentence to something like :

The schedule for the courses will not be arranged until Term Two.
Unread Aug 24th, 2015, 02:00 pm
eslHQ Addict

Good answer. Thank you.