eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Nov 17th, 2010, 08:14 am
A Lifesaver for Cold Days

Oden has disabled reputation
Default ...one of its engines suffered a bird strike...

Hello Sue,

Qantas hit by bird strike - Yahoo!7
Quote:
A Qantas Boeing 747 had to turn back to Johannesburg after one of its engines suffered a bird strike, the airline said Wednesday, the latest in a string of incidents to beset the Australian carrier.
- ...one of its engines suffered a bird strike...
- ...one of its engines had a bird strike...
- ...one of its engines took a bird strike...
- ...one of its engines experienced a bird strike...
Are these all fine?

By the way, Sue, could you set eslHQ's clock to the correct time? I'm afraid the clock is about three minutes fast.
Unread Nov 17th, 2010, 12:29 pm
Sue

susan53 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ...one of its engines suffered a bird strike...

Hi Oden,

a. "had" didn't sound right at all to me at first, but it is used :
On 1 September 1998, a Boeing 767 had a bird strike with a large flock of geese ...
Then someone came on the PA and said we'd had a bird strike ..
I was having a really good run and then I had a bird strike ...

b. "took" also sounded a bit unusual in this context. It collocates OK with "blow" and "hit"...
Ward took a blow to the head Sunday from New England's James Sanders that resulted in what the Steelers are calling a neck injury.
Prospects for U.S. economic growth took a hit this week...

but I wasn't sure about " bird strike". But when I Googled it ...
Early indications are that US Airways Flight 1549 took a bird strike in each engine
I took a bird strike on takeoff from Shobdon.
...could it be possible that the engine took a bird strike?

c. "experienced" - I liked this one intuitively and I found several examples on Google
If a flight has experienced a bird strike,...
Shortly after take off from Amsterdam Schipol, the crew of the KLM aircraft experienced a bird strike.
The plane bound for Phoenix experienced a bird strike during take-off and was forced to return to the airport.

... plus others. It came up as often in fact as "suffered a bird strike". Here are some more examples of that :
An American Airlines MD-83 flight from Saint Louis, Missouri enroute to Los Angeles, California suffered a bird strike to it's right engine ...
...a Thomsonfly Boeing 757 from Manchester Airport, UK to Lanzarote Airport, Spain suffered a bird strike when at least one bird, ...
The Heli Inter Guayana helicopter was flying low over the jungle when it suffered a bird strike

So they're all possible. But if you look at the examples (and check the sources on Google) you'll find that have/take are used mainly informally - to report what people actually said, or on forums etc. When the words are used in more neutral or formal contexts (official reports on bird strikes, newspaper articles etc) then experience/suffer are chosen. So they're not all equivalent.

Puts you right off flying...

I'm afraid I have no control over the clock. In fact, I hadn't even realised there was one. I'm just one of several people who moderate the forums. Send Eric a message on the "Site Suggestions and Feedback" Forum and he may be able to sort it out. Odd though - on my computer it's showing 17 minutes slow...
Unread Nov 18th, 2010, 05:31 am
A Lifesaver for Cold Days

Oden has disabled reputation
Default Re: ...one of its engines suffered a bird strike...

Thank you for the good examples that you've provided, Sue.