eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread May 14th, 2009, 11:06 pm
eslHQ Enthusiast

majid72 is on a distinguished road
Default talk to vs talk with

Hello

I have a question:do you as a native use the followings interchangeably?If not, which ones are commonly used?

Talk to vs Talk with

and also

Speak to vs Speak with

Thank you.
Unread May 15th, 2009, 02:00 am
Sue

susan53 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: talk to vs talk with

I think you'll find this is a US/UK difference. As a Brit I'd usually talk/speak to you, but I suspect Mark and others would talk/speak with you -??

I might possibly use talk/speak with to indicate a complicated discussion where something had to be discussed and decided. "with" for me indicates that I really have to take other people's views into consideration. But it would be rare (Is that because I rarely take other people's views into consideration - eek )

My students tend to use with because it's a translation from Italian so easier for them. When they ask why I say "to" I just explain it's a variety difference and it makes no difference which they use unless they specifically want to be using UK or US English.
Unread May 15th, 2009, 03:22 am
eslHQ Zealot

STCrowley is on a distinguished road

I don't know about the British version--I'm American. But I do sense a slight difference in meaning. If I'm going to talk to someone, the conversation is mostly about what I have to say. (I mean, it's one direction, FROM me TO the other person. The phrase "to give someone a good talking-to" comes to mind.) When I talk with someone, I imagine the conversation being much more 'equal,' what they have to say is as important as what I have to say.

But, I'm afraid my answer has just made things less clear, not more clear. Hope it helps, some, though!
Unread May 15th, 2009, 10:23 am
eslHQ superstar!

mesmark is on a distinguished road

Yeah, 'talk to ..' sounds more like I have something to relay to the other party.

When I say 'talk with ...' sounds more like I'm discussing something and both parties are equal in the conversation or both are important.

I can think of many instances where either would be fine, but I'd rather be 'talked with ' than 'talked to'