eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Aug 10th, 2009, 12:31 am
eslHQ Member

idiotcat is on a distinguished road
Default difficult 13 year olds...

I recently took over an `intermediate level` class consisting of three students, all of whom are 13. The girl is a perfect student but the two boys just won`t cooperate, and I have been searching everywhere for a way to get them interested. They often sleep or just ignore me! Does anybody know any games or methods for small groups of this age? They sometimes respond to hangman but it`s starting to get old and I need something else! Please help!
Unread Aug 11th, 2009, 06:21 am
eslHQ Zealot

kisito is on a distinguished road
Default Re: difficult 13 year olds...

13 is usually the start of those trouble teenage years. They are starting to feel too cool for school and would only participate in certain activities. Also they have so much energy for fun not studies. The book is quite boring. So the teacher is forced to reinvent activities.
I usually ask them what they want to talk about. Based on their topics of interests, I plan my lessons activities around those.My teenage boys are usually into topics like: movies, computer games, sports etc.
Games that work for me are:

Running dictation - It is a good alternative to a boring reading comprehension. This page has a guide on how to play. It can also be communicative.

Chinese Whispers also works for me. This is how to play

Hotseat with flashcards always gets them talking. This is how to play.

Mallet Mallet is a good one too. Mallet mallet is good for word review. This is how to play.

There are more but first try these ones. The beauty behind these games is that there is little planning involved.

For other activities I recommend building lessons around videos and music. A popular English or movie that can trigger imagination will help. I use Mr. Bean a lot because Mr. Bean has a lot of short episodes that are related to the most topics we teach. A good example of Mr. Bean lesson plans are here

These activities work for me. Hope they can be of help.
Unread Aug 11th, 2009, 01:17 pm
eslHQ Addict

Beatrix is on a distinguished road

Isn't there a bunch of textbooks for that age group?
Unread Sep 3rd, 2009, 12:02 am
eslHQ Member

DrDexter is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem with my 12 year olds who have also reached the too cool for school phase. The boys are often beligerent and the girls just stare into space. I find they like activities where they have to work on their own a little more.
Unread Sep 6th, 2009, 08:05 pm
eslHQ Zealot

kisito is on a distinguished road

The last time we talked I was working on this site to help with games for such classes. These games work well with my teenage kids. I was working on this site ESL, EFL Fun Games,Online interactive classroom Games, Printable Games, PPT Games to help teachers with games for their ESL Games.I am really trying to offer my collection of very fine games I created and have been using as an ESL teacher for 8 years. There are templates to help you design your own card games, board games and powerpoint games to bring some freshness into your classroom. These games are absolutely free. So go ahead and try them in your classrooms. The printable games and ppt games always work for me.