eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Mar 17th, 2010, 10:16 pm
eslHQ Member

captaindestroyo is on a distinguished road
Default Discussion topics for high school class?

Ive been teaching primary school in China for a few months now, and I think I've got a pretty good handle on it. But last week I was informed that I would be teaching a class of high school students on Saturdays, and there is no curriculum. Basically I am CLUELESS about what to teach them. I have never taught a group whose English is this advanced before. The school wants me to create a Powerpoint show on a topic of my choice to discuss every week. My first one is about travel and famous places in the United States. My question to you all is, what do high schoolers like to talk about? What kinds of games/activities work well with them? What are they interested in?

Here are some specifics about my situation: the students' English level is fairly high (they can have a decent conversation with you). There are 36 students, and I have them for 2 40-minute periods every Saturday. I need activities that require little or no physical materials, because at this point the only things I have access to are the Internet, pencils and paper and MAYBE some markers if I get lucky. No printing, copying or laminating, no poster-board or anything like that.

I realize this is a broad question, but I like to be over-prepared and anything you can give me would be great. Thanks
Unread Mar 19th, 2010, 06:54 pm
eslHQ Zealot

bread_baker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Discussion topics for high school class?

You can and should ask the students what they are interested in. I can only speak for America; here students of that age are interested in movies, movie stars, fashion, boyfriends/girlfriends, sports and food.
One idea would be to ask them who their favorite athletes are. Then you could choose one and do a PowerPoint presentation about the person. China has some very talented athletes.
Unread Mar 19th, 2010, 10:20 pm
eslHQ Zealot

Dave-B is on a distinguished road

I am teaching high school students right now as well.

Other than the usuals (food, sports, music, etc.) Here are some of the things they like to talk about:

comic books, manga, anime
video games
blogs, social media
online games, role play games, etc.

Hope these ideas help.

Good luck!
Unread Mar 25th, 2010, 05:54 am
clever

clevermae is on a distinguished road

I agree with bread baker and Dave-B.

teeners love to talk about fashion, girl/boy relationships, their celebrity crushes, social media, video games, their favorite TV shows.
Unread Mar 26th, 2010, 11:09 am
eslHQ Zealot

alawton is on a distinguished road

Hello,

For that age group you need to pick something that they are interested in like music, sports or dating. Come upi with your key vocabulary words and grammar points that you want to cover and go from there. Eventhough these kids are older, they still will enjoy some games. Play pictionary with the vocabulary words and maybe a sentence building game to cover the grammar. Good luck.