eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Jun 28th, 2008, 04:09 pm
eslHQ Member

Manes is on a distinguished road
Default good starter for beginner

I'm starting with young adults and adults in a basic English course. The school tells me they know nothing. I didn't meet them yet. It's a small group of 10-12 German students. As they all went through school and here the English is taught since class 3, I imagine that they "must" know something, but can be very quietand shy. I'd like some activities to make them know each other and to make them use whatever English they know without me speaking any German. Thank you all! I'm neww in the site and I'm just loving it!!
Unread Jun 30th, 2008, 12:23 pm
eslHQ Member

english.teacherweb is on a distinguished road
Default Re: good starter for beginner

I think you should get some personal feedback from your students . But instead of asking them directly, you could design questionnaires on personal details (name, age, hometown, family, hobbies, studies , job, previous English learning experience)and make them work in pairs. They should make notes of their partner's answers. Then, they can report it back to the classroom . In this way, they get to know their partners a little better, become more confident, and have some oral practice before starting to speak in front of an audience. what's more, you will get an idea of your students' speaking proficiency as well as their personal profiles.
Unread Jun 30th, 2008, 02:05 pm
eslHQ Member

Thank you very much! It a good idea and I will use it. I'm also worried about the difference of levels. I was thinking about starting from 0 (My name is, etc...), use it as a easy start and speed it up or not according to their individual levels. This would be good for the ones that are really in the beginning. And as I like to use games, music and rythm I think I won't kill the ones more advanced of boredom. What do you guys think?
Unread Jun 30th, 2008, 10:57 pm
eslHQ Enthusiast

jellybeanenglisch is on a distinguished road

Being German myself I can confirm that they will probably know a little bit (most of them should have at least 5 years of German) but emphasis in German schools is not put on conversation so you will probably find many "false beginners" in your group. I think it's a good idea to start with the participants interviewing each other. I would use general statements so as not to confuse them with different tenses in the beginning. You can work from there.
Good luck!
Unread Jul 1st, 2008, 08:44 am
eslHQ Member

Red face Re: good starter for beginner

Yes. That's a good idea and I will adopt it! My worries are around where to start, and how to start, in a way that I don't make some of them feel that they "will never get it" nor kill some of boredom!
Unread Jul 1st, 2008, 04:41 pm
eslHQ Member

english.teacherweb is on a distinguished road

You might as well do a level test, or placement test to find out their approximate level. You can design one yourself or get one from the introductory unit of any book.

As you like music, using a song could be a good start point to work on vocabulary, develop discussions , do pronunciation exercises and find out about their favorite music. You can level the comprehension exercises, from easy to more complicated ones. I think your students will perfectly understand that the first two weeks you'll be finding out about their needs, interests, oral and written proficiency and their favourite learning strategies. So take things easily and try out different methodological approaches until you get to know them better!
Unread Jul 2nd, 2008, 01:23 am
eslHQ Member

Thank you English.teacherweb! We know things like that, but it was so good to read it confirming my knowledge. It was reassuring. And a song, reading and singing together is always fun!