eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Dec 21st, 2010, 09:04 am
eslHQ Enthusiast

sobek is on a distinguished road
Default Quick alphabet review

An idea that came to mind (haven't tried it yet) for a quick review with alphabet.

You would need the alphabet on A4 paper (laminated would be a good idea).
Run through the alphabet quickly to refresh their minds. Split into teams.Then give out the cards to students and tell them that they have to think of a word beginning with that letter. Then say the alphabet (1st in order, then shuffle it up to make it a little harder) and the student holding that card has to stand up and say their chosen word. Then move onto the next letter.

Should a student react too slow or get the word wrong, their team gets a sad face (written on the board) , then collect the cards and give out again.

Simple and quick but hope it will be helpful to some.
I will be trying this with my grade 2 elementary students tomorrow
Unread Jan 5th, 2011, 07:34 pm
eslHQ superstar!

mesmark is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Quick alphabet review

Sounds like fun.

Another scoring options is to start each team out with 3-5 stars. If they can't come up with a word, they lose a star. The team that loses all of their stars is the loser.

That might go over better than a sad face. Either way, the kids that gets their team a sad face or loses the team's star is going to feel that. You could also just have successful attempts earn a happy face. The team with the most happy faces is the winner. (That would avoid a loss of a star, etc.)

You could also use a timer which I found takes a little pressure off. Set a time limit for the round, let other team members offer help and have them work together. If some a re a little slow, time will run out but it won't be completely one member's fault.
Unread Jan 5th, 2011, 11:11 pm
eslHQ Zealot

alawton is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Quick alphabet review

That's a great activity. I guess if you had more advanced students you could do the same thing but for each round ask for a verb or noun. I'll try it out!