eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Jul 21st, 2009, 05:21 pm
English Teacher/Examiner

Whistleblower is on a distinguished road
Default Sport Themed Lesson

I have a lesson coming up tomorrow and I thought I would share this lesson that I have created over the evening. However, the following items are needed for the lesson;
  • Pictures from newspaper (sports section)
  • Names of sports (prepared prior to lesson)
  • Wordsearch puzzle
  • Cue cards with sports
a. Introduce the topic of sports through pictures (I suggest six pictures are enough) - 5 minutes.

b. Brainstorm on the whiteboard the different forms of sport and monitor/check pronunciation - 5 minutes.

c. Ask a group of 3 to 4 students up to the front of the class and hand them a cue card ("Boxing on a bed", "Playing snooker on a boat", etc). Try to come up with some really crazy ideas. The other students have to guess the action from the group miming the activity. Give one point to the group at the front of the class and one point to the correct group guessing the activity - 10/15 minutes.

d. Write up on the board 10 different sports but each of the words are jumbled up. The groups (3 to 4 students) have to unjumble the words and spell the sport correctly - 10 minutes.

e. Get students to mark another group's answers and announce the winning group (those that spelt the most correctly) - 5 minutes.

e. Handout the wordsearch puzzle to settle students prior to their breaktime - 5 minutes.
Please let me know what you think of this lesson. I have another lesson planned to complement this during the second period but shall add this later. Nonetheless, the reason why I like this lesson is because it requires minimal resources.
Unread Jul 27th, 2009, 12:07 pm
English Teacher/Examiner

Default Re: Sport Themed Lesson

The second part of the lesson is a bit more focused on the creation of present simple/perfect forms of questions. You need to spend a little bit of time creating the material. The material you need is:

a. Strips of A4 paper cut vertically in half.
b. Write one word on each piece of paper (eight pieces of paper create a question).
c. Create six different questions related to sport and activities (thus you need eight strips of paper time by six questions = that's 48 strips of paper).
d. Some dice.

The questions (which must be eight words in length) could be:

Do you ever watch any sports on TV?
What Olympic sport do you enjoy the most?
Which sport do you think is very dangerous?

After you have created six different questions you have the basis for your class. You now need some dice for the rest of the lesson.

Give eight students one strip each and ask them to re-organise themselves to create a question. The other students should write the question down in their textbook.

After the students have written all the questions down, get students to write the questions down on the board. Now number each question (from 1 to 6). Hand out the dice to groups of students (from 2+ students). The students roll the dice and then they discuss the questions. Try to provide a rule (don't just say "yes" or "no" and each student must give a follow up question).

This activity can really last from 45-60 minutes depending whether you wish to get a pyramid discussion going, providing feedback, etc. It can work from Elementary to Intermediate students and can really create some really good dynamics during the class.

I hope you like this activity and again it is really saving the photocopier from ink. You just need paper, ink and dice. If you have any suggestions with regards to this lesson, I am all ears.
Unread Jul 28th, 2009, 02:39 pm
English Teacher/Examiner

Did you do this lesson? How did it go? Would you provide any advise? I would really appreciate some feedback as this is one of my first lessons I have created in a long time.
Unread Oct 7th, 2009, 10:50 pm
eslHQ Member

draketw is on a distinguished road

looks great man, this is my first post. i will use this next week and try to report back.
Unread Oct 12th, 2009, 12:08 am
eslHQ Member

draketw is on a distinguished road

ive been doing the first part of the lesson for my kids, it's going well. some of the more advanced students can get through parts easily but there is still enough challenge that they have to think things out.

thanks for the great idea!