eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Jan 26th, 2007, 11:32 pm
I like it hot!

Denis DNT is on a distinguished road
Default Are your students audible enough?

A simple trick has changed many of mine who could not speak to anyone's hearing at the beginning of last year. The truth is these same students are the ones you find screaming around at break time.
I simply made it a class rule: If a student has to read something or ask a question he or she stands close to the door. Each time the student speaks the students at the back of the class judge (whether they got it or not). If they didn't the speaker has to move two steps towards the door and repeat. If the others still don't get it, the student moves three steps further (should be out of the classroom at this stage). Usually by the third try even the worst ones yell out what they want to say in order to get back into class.
At first it felt like punishment especially as it was always the same ones in my case (two girls). Then, the more boring it became to them (and fun to the other students) the more efforts they made to get out of the trap. Those two now make it fun each time they see me even outside school by yelling at me "Helloooo Denissssssssss." It has greatly changed these two girls and I was surprise to see them taking roles in our end-of-year class play.
The other funny part of it is that students in my class developed the habit of moving further away from anyone speaking to them before saying "Can you say that again?" "Sorry I didn't get you." etc.. All in all they have realised the importance of being audible, stressing ending consonant sounds and pronouncing similar words well.
NB. Don't mind when at the beginning they hate you because it looks like punishment. It's good punishment.
Happy new year!