eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread May 4th, 2007, 08:55 am
eslHQ Addict

michèle 2 is on a distinguished road
Default Country life

What 's life like in the country abroad?
Last weekend i went to the country and there was a country music festival during 2 days. horseriding, line dancing, motorbike rides, trike rides , drawing contests, election of miss and mister Country ect.... Barbecue and a band in the evening. There are lots a country events in provincial France where people can meet for socializing. some people say that the country is dull but in some places there are more events than in the suburds of Paris!
what is it like elsewhere?
Unread May 20th, 2007, 11:46 am
Hayet

Hayet Maamouri is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Country life

Hi! Iguess if you're a city person you wouldn't find coutry life that exciting.
I taught in a distant countryside part in the north of Tunisia for six years, and if it was not that i miss some of my pupils and most of my colleagues i would be totally honest in saying that it was a relief when i finally moved back to The capital suburbs this year. having to spend the rest of your day in the countryside is really boring even stressful. the first year time was so slow. i thought the clock was not working. such events as the ones you're talking about would take place only once a year or twice. Imagine thinking how you'll spend your time when you don't work or have to prepare your lessons. Personally, i spent my time on trains going back home as often as I could.
to tell the truth, i sometimes miss the quietness of life there
Unread May 21st, 2007, 06:50 am
EFL Teacher

DaveESL is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Country life

Well, it's very different here in China. My girlfriend and I spend about half of our weekends camping and hiking in the countryside around Zhangjiajie. There are beautiful mountains, traditional wooden houses, family farms and lots of terraced fields. Most of the villages we visit have had electricity for 10 years or less, but televisions are rapidly becoming commonplace. There's aren't cars, though, or paved roads. Lots of water buffalo, cows and chickens.

In general, people are very friendly, and we are often invited to have dinner / sleep over. And the air is much, much cleaner than it is in the city.

Take care!
Dave
Unread May 25th, 2007, 10:25 am
Hayet

Hayet Maamouri is on a distinguished road
Red face Re: Country life

Forgive me for not answering sooner but I only Checked my mail today. I was busy preparing my pupils exams. Going back to our topic, don't misunderstand me, please. what I meant when Isaid that it was boring and hard to occupy oneself in the countryside, was because actually I didn't know plenty of people first. Second, although there are TVs, dishes, of course electricity, streets,... in every house it was hard for me because i'm not used to living in that too quiet environment. i'm used to the noise, traffic, shops, supermarkets, trains, cars,...of the city. Where i used to work, there were one or two shops, no friends but colleagues, people inthe coutry doesn't have the same attitude to many behaviours like the city dwellers. I liked the place but not all the time especially at the beginning. but after making few friends, we started going out together and appreciating the place. we were able to kill time finally and stop missing our family and friends who were far away from us.
Sorry to bother you with a long explanation