eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Aug 29th, 2010, 07:18 am
eslHQ Zealot

chokosaki is on a distinguished road
Default Going to Hong Kong to get a new visa

Hey there! I'm proud to say that my first year in China is just about over! I've recently married my long time girlfriend of 2 years a couple months ago and things are going great with work. Things were actually going great in everything...until now >_< This being China, my visa will be expiring soon soooo, I must leave China and get a new visa.
I hear going to Hong Kong is the way to do it. Have any of you done this before? I know I need some money (check or money order...no cash! ), my passport, and the visa application form with a 2x2 picture attached. Is there anything else I'm missing? About how long does this take? Does anyone have any advice? I know there are some older posts about this stuff....but I really want up to date information as China's always changing something.....
Unread Sep 5th, 2010, 02:50 am
eslHQ Addict

Beatrix is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Going to Hong Kong to get a new visa

hello chokosaki,
unfortunately I can't help you as I have recently arrived in China myself.
great to hear from somebody who's also been teaching in China, I hope you'll find solution to your problem very soon
Unread Sep 5th, 2010, 03:10 am
eslHQ Addict

ps. isn't the school you are working with obliged to provide you with visa?
Unread Sep 5th, 2010, 04:59 am
eslHQ Zealot

yeah, they're obligated to do so...buuuut, well, after 1 year of being in the country, china has a law that any foreigners must exit and return. sucks
Unread Sep 5th, 2010, 08:47 am
eslHQ Addict

incredible. thanks for letting me know.
so what are you planning to do? go and live in hong kong for some time?
Unread Sep 10th, 2010, 11:21 pm
eslHQ Addict

Quote:
Quote chokosaki View Post
yeah, they're obligated to do so...buuuut, well, after 1 year of being in the country, china has a law that any foreigners must exit and return. sucks
what does it mean to exit and return? can you go on holiday to Japan and return in three days?
Unread Sep 11th, 2010, 04:15 am
eslHQ Zealot

How many times you can exit China depends on the kind of visa you hold. If your visa is a 'multi entry visa' then you can leave and come as many times as you want until the visa expires. Now, if you have a tourist visa that's...say...2 entry...then you can only leave and come back 2 times during the validity of your visa. Maybe the visa should last for 6 months, but I leave once after 2 months....if I leave again before the 6 months is up...I can't return to China unless I get a new visa (easily done).

As long as your visa is valid and you have entries left, you can go to Japan for 3 days and then come back. In doing so, that also resets your days stayed in China back to 0...so you need to leave again after a year is up.

I am back in China after getting my new visa in Hong Kong. Hong Kong was AWESOME and a nice break from the mainland. I think you only need to leave china for 24 hours, but it took me 2 days to get a new visa (the application day and then the next day...I paid the rush fee).

I hope this is clear and understandable. I'm really tired right now. Little sleep plus I just finished 2 classes. If you have more questions you can message me on MSN or Skype.
Unread Sep 11th, 2010, 04:18 am
eslHQ Zealot

Quote:
Quote Beatrix View Post
what does it mean to exit and return? can you go on holiday to Japan and return in three days?
Oh, I'm sorry. I said it a bit wrong the first time. The law isn't that you have to leave and return after a year. You just have to leave after a year....you don't HAVE TO return if you don't want to. You can go back home whenever you want.
Unread Sep 11th, 2010, 09:03 pm
eslHQ Addict

I've got it, thanks. btw I'm in China too. so just wandering what will happen after I have finished wth my first year here
Unread Oct 14th, 2010, 10:55 am
eslHQ Member

!jamesbrooke is on a distinguished road

Please share your experience in China with everyone here. I am actually considering visiting asian countries, China, Korea and Japan next year. Thanks!
Unread Dec 15th, 2010, 01:22 pm
eslHQ Member

uscollegeranking is on a distinguished road

Great for you! I wish I could visit China soon.
Unread Feb 4th, 2011, 09:59 am
eslHQ Member

mafecp21 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote chokosaki View Post
How many times you can exit China depends on the kind of visa you hold. If your visa is a 'multi entry visa' then you can leave and come as many times as you want until the visa expires. Now, if you have a tourist visa that's...say...2 entry...then you can only leave and come back 2 times during the validity of your visa. Maybe the visa should last for 6 months, but I leave once after 2 months....if I leave again before the 6 months is up...I can't return to China unless I get a new visa (easily done).

As long as your visa is valid and you have entries left, you can go to Japan for 3 days and then come back. In doing so, that also resets your days stayed in China back to 0...so you need to leave again after a year is up.

I am back in China after getting my new visa in Hong Kong. Hong Kong was AWESOME and a nice break from the mainland. I think you only need to leave china for 24 hours, but it took me 2 days to get a new visa (the application day and then the next day...I paid the rush fee).

I hope this is clear and understandable. I'm really tired right now. Little sleep plus I just finished 2 classes. If you have more questions you can message me on MSN or Skype.
Hello. I need your input. Are you American?
Where did you go to get a new chinese visa in Hong Kong and when did you do this? We are looking to do the same thing but just wanna make sure we can do it there. We are in China right now.

Please if you could tell me where u went, what u gave in and how long they took to do the paperwork, I'd really appreciate it.
Unread Feb 14th, 2011, 02:18 am
eslHQ Member

tomhume89 is on a distinguished road

You can go to the Chinese consulate direct to get it done in Wan Chai on HK Island (Address/Office hours/Enquiry service). This, in my understanding, takes a while as there's often a queue and you have to wait for a long time- and when you get to a counter maybe there's something wrong with your docs and you have to start again!

On the other hand (this is what I've done a couple of times), you can go to an agent, who will do everything for you, but at a price. I think overall, with next day turnover (due to my FAO at the time messing things up!) it was around 1800HK$ which was a lot but paid for by my school. It was across the road from Chungking Mansions and fairly easy to find (small doorway, clearly marked).

I'm a Brit, but I don't think there will be much difference in the procedure.