eslHQ

eslHQ (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/)
-   General Chat (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/general-chat/)
-   -   How many people feel 'homesick'? (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/general-chat/how-many-people-feel-homesick-1774/)

clivehawkins Sep 8th, 2006 10:59 am

How many people feel 'homesick'?

You're away from home, having the time of your life teaching our fine language to eager students. Things are a bit different to back home, but that's good, yeah?

So, is anyone thinking about heading back? Are you missing familiar faces, sights and sounds?

Where are you, how long have you been there, and what do you miss (if anything)?

To start you off, I've been in Sardinia for 7 years and love it (for the most part). I come from London originally and to be honest there's very little I miss. One thing that's needed here though is more choice, of everything - shops, services, education, transport etc. Very often you literally have no choice, therefore the laziness and ineptitude of staff is quite remarkable. When I go 'home' I'm taken aback by how polite and helpful people generally are. That's what I miss the most.

Eric Sep 8th, 2006 06:48 pm

Re: How many people feel 'homesick'?

i've been thinking of heading back for about a year now. i've been in korea for 6 years and im reaching the end. basically i miss the natural environment of north america (the quiet woods, streams, lakes, etc...) and not having as many food options here as we do at home.

i think when i leave korea there will be 100's of things i will miss. its a tough choice and very sad to know this is probably my last year. there are so many really nice things about korea. too many to write here. over a beer is more appropriate.

livinginkorea Sep 8th, 2006 09:23 pm

I have been in Korea now for two and a half years (to be exact!). I love it here but at times like everybody else I feel a little homesick. I chat on messanger a lot of my friends and family back home. It's always good to keep in touch.

I plan to stay here for another couple of years until I finish my masters in TEFL. That will finish in 2009 so I think by then the wife and I will want to live in Europe for a while. Also we will want to start a family then I think. Of course the main question is will we be able to make as much here (business and company classes) as we would make in Europe? I am hoping to get some good university job teaching English and the Masters should help a long way towards that.

Whistleblower Nov 3rd, 2006 03:24 am

I miss going out with some of my best friends from the UK. I also miss the chats you had over a beer and not worrying about communication problems, which is typical with Koreans.

However, there are pleaty things that I don't miss from the UK: Council Tax, Inheritance Tax, Benefit, etc. I like that if you work hard you earn. If you don't work hard, you don't earn. Pretty simple in Korea.

I do like Korea, but plan do have a holiday each six months back to the UK to see family and friends.

livinginkorea Nov 3rd, 2006 10:20 am

This Christmas might have it moments but I'll survive

simplyesl Nov 25th, 2006 01:43 am

I think everyone will miss their home at one stage. I know i do. But there are certain things about a lot of things that i miss, too.

Whistleblower Nov 25th, 2006 03:43 pm

I have a holiday over the New Year and I am going back to the UK for a week! Yahoo! But I am going back for work??? Boo hooo.

iankendal Dec 4th, 2006 09:53 am

HI all I'm new here,
I just thought i'd drop in to say yeah I feel homesick after 3 months or so then it passes and something exciting happens!

livinginkorea Dec 5th, 2006 03:45 am

Quote:

Quote iankendal
HI all I'm new here,
I just thought i'd drop in to say yeah I feel homesick after 3 months or so then it passes and something exciting happens!

Did you teach in Korea? I think one of your other posts mentioned Korea. How long were you hear for? Or are you still here? :)