eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Sep 8th, 2006, 10:59 am
Clive Hawkins

clivehawkins is on a distinguished road
Default How many people feel 'homesick'?

You're away from home, having the time of your life teaching our fine language to eager students. Things are a bit different to back home, but that's good, yeah?

So, is anyone thinking about heading back? Are you missing familiar faces, sights and sounds?

Where are you, how long have you been there, and what do you miss (if anything)?

To start you off, I've been in Sardinia for 7 years and love it (for the most part). I come from London originally and to be honest there's very little I miss. One thing that's needed here though is more choice, of everything - shops, services, education, transport etc. Very often you literally have no choice, therefore the laziness and ineptitude of staff is quite remarkable. When I go 'home' I'm taken aback by how polite and helpful people generally are. That's what I miss the most.

Get TEFL qualified in Sardinia!:
Tefl in Sardinia
Unread Sep 8th, 2006, 06:48 pm
Administrator

Eric is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How many people feel 'homesick'?

i've been thinking of heading back for about a year now. i've been in korea for 6 years and im reaching the end. basically i miss the natural environment of north america (the quiet woods, streams, lakes, etc...) and not having as many food options here as we do at home.

i think when i leave korea there will be 100's of things i will miss. its a tough choice and very sad to know this is probably my last year. there are so many really nice things about korea. too many to write here. over a beer is more appropriate.
Unread Sep 8th, 2006, 09:23 pm
Ninja Fighting Teacher

livinginkorea is on a distinguished road

I have been in Korea now for two and a half years (to be exact!). I love it here but at times like everybody else I feel a little homesick. I chat on messanger a lot of my friends and family back home. It's always good to keep in touch.

I plan to stay here for another couple of years until I finish my masters in TEFL. That will finish in 2009 so I think by then the wife and I will want to live in Europe for a while. Also we will want to start a family then I think. Of course the main question is will we be able to make as much here (business and company classes) as we would make in Europe? I am hoping to get some good university job teaching English and the Masters should help a long way towards that.
Unread Nov 3rd, 2006, 03:24 am
English Teacher/Examiner

Whistleblower is on a distinguished road

I miss going out with some of my best friends from the UK. I also miss the chats you had over a beer and not worrying about communication problems, which is typical with Koreans.

However, there are pleaty things that I don't miss from the UK: Council Tax, Inheritance Tax, Benefit, etc. I like that if you work hard you earn. If you don't work hard, you don't earn. Pretty simple in Korea.

I do like Korea, but plan do have a holiday each six months back to the UK to see family and friends.
Unread Nov 3rd, 2006, 10:20 am
Ninja Fighting Teacher

This Christmas might have it moments but I'll survive
Unread Nov 25th, 2006, 01:43 am
SimplyESL

simplyesl is on a distinguished road

I think everyone will miss their home at one stage. I know i do. But there are certain things about a lot of things that i miss, too.
Unread Nov 25th, 2006, 03:43 pm
English Teacher/Examiner

Whistleblower is on a distinguished road

I have a holiday over the New Year and I am going back to the UK for a week! Yahoo! But I am going back for work??? Boo hooo.
Unread Dec 4th, 2006, 09:53 am
eslHQ Member

iankendal is on a distinguished road

HI all I'm new here,
I just thought i'd drop in to say yeah I feel homesick after 3 months or so then it passes and something exciting happens!
Unread Dec 5th, 2006, 03:45 am
Ninja Fighting Teacher

Quote:
Quote iankendal
HI all I'm new here,
I just thought i'd drop in to say yeah I feel homesick after 3 months or so then it passes and something exciting happens!
Did you teach in Korea? I think one of your other posts mentioned Korea. How long were you hear for? Or are you still here?