eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Nov 5th, 2006, 06:09 am
Sue

susan53 is on a distinguished road
Default Linguistic Blunders

If you're teaching abroad, you're probably trying to learn the language of the country while you're there - and probably making some daft mistakes. Have you ever said anything really funny? When I was learning Italian we had a terrific thunderstorm one evening and I stayed at the window about an hour just watching it. The next day, talking to some friends who live in a different area, which hadn't had it so bad, I tried to describe what I'd seen. I wanted to say : Il cielo era pieno di tuoni e lampi - The sky was full of thunder and lightning. But what I actually came out with was: Il cielo era pieno di tonno e lamponi - The sky was full of tuna fish and raspberries. I didn't live that one down for quite a while ...
Unread Nov 5th, 2006, 08:08 pm
English Teacher/Examiner

Whistleblower is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Linguistic Blunders

I remember not so long ago that I was describing to my brother-in-law that my brother in the UK was a rubbishman during his gap year at Uni. So I thought very quickly when he didn't understand rubbishman, someone who collects rubbish in the UK. I said to him: "내 현, 쓰레기 넘". Basically in English, "My brother was a rubbishman". What i didn't realise during my translation was that rubbishman (쓰레기 넘) in Korean meant a "bl**dy useless idiot". We all had a good laugh when we realised my mistake was totally honest.
Unread Nov 6th, 2006, 05:38 am
Clive Hawkins

clivehawkins is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Linguistic Blunders

The first one I can remember is when I went to the bank to cash a cheque. I wanted to say "Vorrei incassare quest'assegno" which means "I'd like to cash this cheque".
What I actually said, and there really is only a very small difference, is "Vorrei incazzare quest'assegno" - "I'd like to really piss this cheque off!"
Top marks to the guy behind the counter who managed not to laugh in my face and politely explained the difference in pronunciation.

Get TEFL qualified in Sardinia!:
Tefl in Sardinia