eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Sep 3rd, 2008, 04:14 pm
eslHQ Member

katan-ko is on a distinguished road
Cool Regarding contracts in Korea I need opinion

Hi Again, I sent apostille and all info to my school in Korea which they said go from the school to the Korean Government in order that I be issued a Visa Number. I mentioned I need a copy of the contract with their signature (they have mine) to show the Korean Embassy for my face to face interview and also to provide US IRS on my return. The seem to balk about returning the contract with their signature, I can't imagine showing up in Korea without a signed contract on the part of the employer. What if they don't meet the enrollment expectation and want to offer less, that really wouldn't bother me too much depending on how much less, but I think I should have the contract before I go, what's your opinion? I spent a lot of money preparing my documents and enrolling in on line continuing education in anticipation of this particular salary. I am feeling a little queasy. about this. Katan
Unread Sep 3rd, 2008, 07:42 pm
Administrator

Eric is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Regarding contracts in Korea I need opinion

I think it's fair to ask for a signed contract. I'm not sure if you absolutely need one but you want to make sure you have a copy in case theirs 'gets lost'.

And what do you mean about the IRS? Are they requesting IRS documents?

Eric
Unread Sep 4th, 2008, 02:15 am
eslHQ Member

Hi
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate your opinion.
Actually the agency has made more than one change, one in location of school and the contract was less than that posted on Serious Teachers.com So this sign when you arrive sort of bothers me, what if they never get around to it or tell me well, we don't have the enrollment yet so until we achieve X number of students we will pay an even lower amount.

The IRS can and probably will require the contract and possibly banking statements from teachers returning from abroad under some circumstances. I was told to keep a copy of the contract and banking records.Also US Customs is cracking down on luxury goods purchased in Korea. The declaration forms are checked twice since 9/11.

How long have you been in Korea? Do you enjoy it. I am studying Korean and have prepared my own phrase book for things I might not remember how to say. I also have a notebook with information for parents in English and Korean translated on Yahoo Babel Fish. I'd like to hear more from ESL teachers in Korea. Thanks a lot.
Unread Sep 4th, 2008, 08:25 am
Administrator

Eric is on a distinguished road

Hi,

If they are changing stuff on you already, this is definitely a red flag. I would start looking for another job because once you're there, it's even harder to get out of your contract. I'd say to cut your ties with this recruiter/school and start looking at the other 1000 jobs you can find on the web.

While it's good to keep your banking statements and such, I believe that money earned overseas (as long as it's under 70,000USD/year) does not have to be declared. I don't think the IRS can tax you on your earnings because you will already have paid your korean taxes. You shouldn't have to pay taxes twice.

I was in Korea for 6 years. I loved it! I think studying the language will make your experience 1000% better. Great idea to get a head start.

Eric
Unread Sep 4th, 2008, 11:17 pm
eslHQ Member

Hi Eric,
You have sage advice. What's it like being guru to world weary teachers? I definately hve misgivings. My contact is an American woman from a large city, she seems very dim and inclined to fantasy. I sort of think something is wrong with her mind. I felt protective of her at first, young away from home but I honestly believe after conversation she is perhaps mildly mentally ill I am continuing to apply to other schools. Actually there are a few bad seeds on line. Some of the strangest I've dealt with are in Korea, none are Koreans, they work for Koreans or are American born Koreans.
I will keep seeking but I will wait until I have my contract.
Thanks Kathryn