eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Nov 23rd, 2006, 08:11 pm
ESL Teacher

Frauke is on a distinguished road
Default resigning but maybe no payment?

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right place for my post.

I have a problem and would need your suggestions what to do. This is the situation:

I have signed a contract with a school running until 6/2007, teaching 9 hours/week at a certain company. The company has decided not to have classes in December, but my boss told me that I will get payed anyway as my contract runs until 6/2007.

I'm planning to leave middle of December for good and fear that, if I tell them now, they won't pay my December salary, as I don't work in December (which is not due to my fault, but the company's wish)

I actually wanted to tell them at the end of November that I was leaving. Giving them some time to find a new teacher for January. But what, if my boss doesn't want to pay me?

The other option would be to receive the money and then tell them that I won't come back. I'm not very comfortable with that solution. I also have to return books, CD's and a CD player to them, so just not coming back isn't an option either.

Does anybody have experience with Spanish schools/employers? Can you give me your ideas about how to handle this situation please? Thanks so much!!

Frauke
Unread Nov 24th, 2006, 08:36 pm
Ninja Fighting Teacher

livinginkorea is on a distinguished road
Default Re: resigning but maybe no payment?

Hi Frauke,

Glad to hear that you are getting paid eventhough you have no classes! I can't tell you about Spanish employers as I have never worked in Spain but I think that you should tell them in advance. What does it say in your contract about quiting? Probably you have to give them some notice in advance. I am curious in knowing why you would want to leave? Have they been bad to you or you have a better offer? Either way you should check their contract and tell them in advance.

Also keep all the receipts and if they don't pay you then you need to show the labour office that you worked there so that they can follow some actions to get your money. That's IF they don't pay you. Do you really think that they won't?

I hope that it works out ok for you. Leaving in the middle of a contract can be troublesome and in the end of the day you want to make sure that you leave on good terms with a nice reference and maybe they might offer some work again in the future!

Best of luck and let us know how you get on
Unread Nov 25th, 2006, 08:51 am
ESL Teacher

Hello livingkorea,

thanks for your reply. I've been in Barcelona for 15 months now and feel it's time to leave. The city is sucking all my energy out of me although it's a fantastic city and I do love it. Well, I don't wanna go into details here. I'm planning my 3-months trip to Thailand, Nepal and Tibet at the moment - if that's not a reason to leave

I have actually already checked with a lawyer and they told me that they have to pay me. But he also said that there is little I can do about it if they DON't pay me. They have been good to me and of course I want to leave in good terms. I know that it's great that they pay even during the holiday. The two other schools I work for don't do that.

But I know my boss. He is sitting on his money and he will argue with me and tell me that after all I didn't work in December, so why should they pay me.... and so on.
Unread Dec 3rd, 2006, 11:50 pm
eslHQ superstar!

mesmark is on a distinguished road

I'd tell then and hope for the best.

I can see both sides of this. As an employer you're payin holiday leave because that person deserves a break and will come back refreshed to work. Also, you are technically quitting in November.

I can see your desire to get that cash that was promised as well.

Either way, you should do what feels good to you. You don't want to lose the money but if you'll feel bad about sticking it to them, then don't. You will be putting them in a terrible position come January if you run out or don't give enough notice.

You said they have treated you well, so I think you should assume they will continue to.
Unread Dec 5th, 2006, 03:28 pm
ESL Teacher

Problem solved!! I finally decided yesterday that I will tell them the truth. I found out I didn't want to lie to them.

Befor I got the chance to say anything, he told me that the company canceled all the classes for next year but that I shouldn't worry because he will find something else for me. So I interrupted him and told him that I will be leaving and not coming back and he just smiled and me and said: "Perfecto".

He was so relieved!! I then asked him about the December payment and he said that-of course- he will pay me he promised me he would and that I shouldn't worry.

I'm so glad that everything worked out all right. Thanks for your support and advice.
Unread Dec 5th, 2006, 05:21 pm
eslHQ Zealot

jenniferp is on a distinguished road

That's good news. You did right by them (and for your karma!) by deciding to be upfront and honest and it's actually worked out well for everyone all round.

Good luck with your Asia trip xxx
Unread Dec 5th, 2006, 06:49 pm
Ninja Fighting Teacher

livinginkorea is on a distinguished road

Great that everything went well in the end and that your boss will pay you. You were right in being honest in the end and it worked perfect for the both of you!

Will you go back to teaching again after your holiday?
Unread Dec 6th, 2006, 01:59 am
eslHQ superstar!

mesmark is on a distinguished road

good to hear that it worked out.

Have fun on your trip!