eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread May 22nd, 2008, 06:54 am
eslHQ Member

Secoise is on a distinguished road
Default Staying in Korea

I'm currently in the military living in Korea, and met the love of my life. I am thinking about after leaving the military marrying her and living in Korea. And I was wondering if someone could tell me some of the options I can take. I am currently trying to learn Korean right now and will probably take college level courses in a few months. If I do live here, would it be possible for me to teach english?
Unread May 22nd, 2008, 08:06 am
Administrator

Eric is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Staying in Korea

Hi,

Sounds like an exciting choice!

You mentioned that you are taking college level courses in a few months. Do you have your bachelor's degree already? A 4 year bachelor is required to get an E2 visa to teach.

If you don't have your degree but are determined to stay in korea while you get your degree, you could always teach private lessons (which are illegal) while you get your degree. But this would require you to do visa runs to Japan every 90 days which may look suspicious after a few of those trips.

If you don't have a degree, another option to stay in Korea would try to get your degree at a Korea college so that you can get a student visa and be more legit in terms of your stay in Korea.

Lastly, if you have a degree, just start looking for jobs in the town where your fiancee is. I'm sure there are plenty of ESL jobs around in your area.

Eric
Unread May 22nd, 2008, 09:41 pm
eslHQ superstar!

mesmark is on a distinguished road

If you are already planning to get mariied, that ought to solve your visa problems. I assume your love is Korean?
Unread May 23rd, 2008, 12:46 am
eslHQ Member

Secoise is on a distinguished road

Yeah we are planning on getting married in the future, and she is Korean. How would a visa work if I marry her and live in Korea?
Unread May 23rd, 2008, 05:01 am
eslHQ superstar!

mesmark is on a distinguished road

I would imagine you could file for a spousal visa. That would allow you to live and work there. I'm not sure but that's the case here in Japan.