eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Jun 19th, 2005, 09:57 am
eslHQ Member

me-cook-salami is on a distinguished road
Smile Taste of Korea

Hey everyone,

I just realized tonight as I was eating out, how when I first arrived in Korea I didn't know much bout the food here and the descriptions I found in tourist brochures didn't do it for me.

So lets post pictures of our favorite foods and a brief description of what's in them....maybe one day this thread can be included in a special area of the website dedicated to people just arriving in Korea....

My first and long time favorite is Bibimbop (I wish I could spell it in Korean for you but I don't have the right keyboard)

It is a very simple dish. Fresh veggies such as carrots, cucumbers, mountain muchrooms, zuccini, bean sprouts, sea weed, green onions, cabbage and lettuce are served with cooked ground beef, red-pepper sauce, a fried egg, and sesame seeds sprinked on top. All of this is served on a bed of rice. It can be hot or cold. On a scale of 1-10 of spiceiness it's usually served as a 5, although sometimes they let you add the red-pepper sauce as you like it.

Mashi-kay-deusay-oh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bebimbop.jpg (290.9 KB, 2 views)

www.hagwonchecklist.com

Last edited by me-cook-salami : Jun 19th, 2005 at 10:31 pm.
Unread Jun 19th, 2005, 10:12 am
eslHQ Member

me-cook-salami is on a distinguished road
Default "Soon-du-bu bek-bon" and "Don-ka-su"

In the picture, there are two dishes. A hot red soup, called "soon-du-bu bek-bon" and a steak like thing with a white sauce on it called "don-ka-su".

"Soon-du-bu bek-bon", is a very hot (boiling) and very spicey soup. The broth has lots of red pepper, maybe rep-pepper oil, and maybe some fish oil. the ingedients are: Tofu, Green chiles, onions, cucumbers, and some seafood that is easy to pick out (claims). It is served with a portion of rice. It's my favorite winter dish and has so much flavor. Very Very Spicey!

"Don-ka-su" is fried pork cutlet and is topped of with a savory brown sauce. This is a good one to quench any fried food cravings. It's served with rice and a small Korean style salad. The white strip is mayo, but not all places add this.

enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dunkass.jpg (266.8 KB, 2 views)

www.hagwonchecklist.com
Unread Jun 19th, 2005, 10:59 am
Administrator

Eric is on a distinguished road
Default Mushroom Stew

Here is one of my winter favorites, Beoseot Jeongol or Mushroom Stew. It's served in a big pot and cooked in front of you. Assorted mushrooms, tofu, bean sprouts, kimchi, onions, carrots, red pepper paste and other things that make it delicious. It's not as spicy as it looks. Served with rice. Goes well with a Cass.

Great thread, BTW!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1040336.JPG (130.3 KB, 2 views)
Unread Jun 19th, 2005, 07:31 pm
eslHQ Addict

fishead soup is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote me-cook-salami
In the picture, there are two dishes. A hot red soup, called "soon-du-bu bek-bon" and a steak like thing with a white sauce on it called "don-ka-su".

"Soon-du-bu bek-bon", is a very hot (boiling) and very spicey soup. The broth has lots of red pepper, maybe rep-pepper oil, and maybe some fish oil. the ingedients are: Tofu, Green chiles, onions, cucumbers, and some seafood that is easy to pick out (claims). It is served with a portion of rice. It's my favorite winter dish and has so much flavor. Very Very Spicey!

"Don-ka-su" is fried pork cutlet and is topped of with a savory brown sauce. This is a good one to quench any fried food cravings. It's served with rice and a small Korean style salad. The white strip is mayo, but not all places add this.

enjoy!
Dong-ka-su is Japanese. I think its just the pork version Vienna Snitzel. The original version is made with veal
Unread Jun 19th, 2005, 10:07 pm
eslHQ Member

koreaden is on a distinguished road
Default Neng Myan

This is one of my favorites for summer. Ice cold noodle soup. The color and kind of noodles depends on where you order, but the broth is a water, vinegar and crushed ice base. It's usually served with cold noodles, pickled radish, cucumber, sesame seeds, sometimes a small piece of meat, sometimes tomatos and always a hardboiled egg all in a big 'ol bowl. Restaurants will sometimes give you some hot mustard or red pepper sauce or both to put in your neng myan. Really spices it up...yummy. Mul Neng Myan always comes with the crused ice and water broth. Bibim Neng Myan is usually just the cold noodles cucumbers and red pepper sauce (but a few places give you the crushed ice and water broth on the side).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg neng_myan.jpg (101.0 KB, 1 views)
Unread Sep 1st, 2005, 10:54 pm
Administrator

little sage is on a distinguished road
Default Misoya Sushi Box Set

This might not actually qualify as "taste of Korea" but it's something we crave every once in a while.

This set serves 3 but we buy it for 2 for 18,000won. We can never finish the whole thing, it's way more filling than it looks.

I've labeled some ingredients if you enlarge the picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg misoya.jpg (163.0 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by little sage : Sep 1st, 2005 at 11:06 pm.
Unread Nov 3rd, 2005, 02:37 am
eslHQ Addict

fishead soup is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote little sage
This might not actually qualify as "taste of Korea" but it's something we crave every once in a while.

This set serves 3 but we buy it for 2 for 18,000won. We can never finish the whole thing, it's way more filling than it looks.

I've labeled some ingredients if you enlarge the picture

The Sushi bars that have a rotating table are the best. My personal favorite is the Salmon and Tuna. Btw I never eat cheap Sushi. Smoked salmon or rock hard frozen tuna should never be used on Sushi.

Have you checked out the Tuna Sashimi Buffets