eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Feb 11th, 2009, 11:35 pm
eslHQ Enthusiast

sobek is on a distinguished road
Default 1st day jitters

Hi all.
Does anyone else suffer from the 1st day jitters?
Today was the beginning of the school term, but also the start of a new job for me.
Now I've had 2 years experience (1 year EF, 1 year kindergartens) but I was still nervous about starting a new job.
This job is at an elementary school and I honestly had no idea how to teach or if I could be a good replacement for the former teacher, who had been there for 2 years and seemed pretty well liked.

Anyway, I find it funny how the build up to starting a new job leaves me feeling terrible nervous, almost dreading the class, but the second I step into the classroom, all the nervousness disappears.

I guess I got a good reception, as soon as I stepped in the classroom, the students got all excited and 40+ students all came running to me wanting my autograph.

Anyone had similar experiences?
Unread Feb 12th, 2009, 11:05 am
eslHQ superstar!

mesmark is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1st day jitters

I tend to stress a bit about new teaching situations but come 'game day' I'm generally pretty relaxed and ready to go.

At that point there's not much you can do but teach. If it goes well, it goes well. If not, regroup and try again.

I've always been a bit laid back like that, though. You know, it's just life and it's just yours. As long as you enjoy it, it's pretty good.

Build up. Be positive. Teach hard!
Unread Feb 13th, 2009, 03:07 am
eslHQ Enthusiast

sobek is on a distinguished road

Yeah I think because I was teaching in a new environment, I felt a little
nervous about the change.

For the past year I have been doing kindergartens, where I would be playing games, songs and have them run around in the big room I used for teaching.

Now I'm teaching older students, where they will be sat for a 35 minute class.

Honestly...it feels a little difficult to adjust and I'm looking forward to teaching the grade 1's on Tuesday (although its actually the longest working day I have)
Just finished my grade 6 class and, again in all honesty, I found it a little dull. It seems like they have difficulty trying to piece a sentence together (even "how old are you") and they seem very shy.
Need to find a way to loosen them up next week
Unread Feb 20th, 2009, 10:12 am
eslHQ Enthusiast

ICAL_Pete is on a distinguished road

These two ICALwiki articles offer excellent practical advice to those teachers who suffer from 1st day jitters, nervousness and anxiety.

Nervousness Tips

Stage Fright -Fight It Back

Hope you'll find them useful.

Good luck with your teaching.
Unread Mar 11th, 2009, 08:49 am
eslHQ Zealot

kisito is on a distinguished road

Usually I spend the first lesson not really teaching but helping students to feel relaxed by going through very simple expressions they certainly know. You need some icebreakers too on the first day.
Unread Mar 14th, 2009, 03:06 pm
eslHQ Zealot

English-coach is on a distinguished road

I always get the first day jitters...I think it is natural and helps you over perform. Or just sweat like a pig...don't forget your deoderant!!

I usually use the first day to introduce myself, get to know them, play games and find out what they what to learn, goals and history.

Once students know you and are comfortable they will be more receptive and learn more.

Don't worry, I always get nervous the first day.
Unread Apr 21st, 2009, 01:07 am
eslHQ Member

itza2003 is on a distinguished road

Next saturday will be my first day teaching and it will be in a new job!!! so i am very nervous and i dont know how to hadle my new grup, it will be my first experience with students and i dont know how to star my day.
Unread Apr 21st, 2009, 11:31 am
eslHQ Zealot

English-coach is on a distinguished road

My advice, for starting your day is have fun and get to know them. Play games or do activites that allow you to tell them about yourself. If it is children, they will love getting to know you. If they are teenagers you might have to test the waters and see.

Play some icebreakers (games to break the ice) and relax. Have fun and I'm sure you will do fine.
Unread Apr 21st, 2009, 04:58 pm
mind like a sieve

HUE is on a distinguished road

As everyone else has said, don't worry. The students will likely be more nervous than you (although they may not show it).

Something to consider in terms of activities and preparation, always plan for more activities than you'll need. It's easier to remove some games/icebreakers, or even shorten and simplify them, than it is to come up with extra ideas on the spot... especially if you're new and nervous.

Good luck and let us know how it all goes!
Just print and teach materials at Heads Up English.