eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Jan 13th, 2007, 03:52 am
eslHQ Enthusiast

stanley is on a distinguished road
Default Business English - good websites

What are the best websites for teachers of Business English?
Unread Jan 13th, 2007, 05:00 am
Sue

susan53 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Business English - good websites

You don't say if you mean websites for students or for teachers ??? If you mean for teachers - with lesson plans, methodology, materials for classroom use etc, the best are often the publishers, which provide a wealth who provide a wealth of supplementary material for use with their courses - but which can equally well be used without using the course. My favourite is OUP - if you go into their section of business English books (the link takes you straight there) you'll find loads of material, including the tapescripts and texts from their books, which are eminently usable even if you don't have the books and tapes themselves. See here for an article on how you can use them. You need to register for the OUP site, but it's free.

Other publishers with some stuff : Macmillan - and in particular their site for teachers onestopenglish, and Longman.

Other good sites include :

English club - business English

and
The BBC Learning English site

You might also think about joining the IATEFL Business English Special Interest Group - they send out monthly newsletters with teaching ideas, articles etc.

Hope you find these links useful.
Unread Jan 14th, 2007, 10:47 pm
eslHQ Enthusiast

stanley is on a distinguished road

Very useful! Thank you so much Susan.
Unread Feb 6th, 2007, 08:25 am
Ninja Fighting Teacher

livinginkorea is on a distinguished road

One of my students asked about business manner and how to treat visiting business people from America in particular (they have a huge office there).

It got me thinking was there any website showing this? I have seen some in books but nothing major there.

Thanks in advance!
Unread Feb 6th, 2007, 11:44 am
Sue

susan53 is on a distinguished road

Try this one : http://www.executiveplanet.com/index...=United_States

They have a load of info on most of the various countries and cultures in the world. If you're interested in others, just go back to their home page from that link and you'll find the list. In the past however I've found some of the links don't work. But if you just type in the country that interests you in place of United States in the link above, you'll usually get there.

If you're interested in teaching cross cultural differences like this, one fun way is with a quiz, which you can then follow up with a reading text explaining the reasons for the answers. You'll find both a quiz and an article which could be adapted on my site here - but it's general, not specifically US oriented. You could work up something similar though with the info from Executive Planet in the link above.
Unread Feb 6th, 2007, 06:38 pm
Ninja Fighting Teacher

livinginkorea is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote susan53
Try this one : http://www.executiveplanet.com/index...=United_States

They have a load of info on most of the various countries and cultures in the world. If you're interested in others, just go back to their home page from that link and you'll find the list. In the past however I've found some of the links don't work. But if you just type in the country that interests you in place of United States in the link above, you'll usually get there.

If you're interested in teaching cross cultural differences like this, one fun way is with a quiz, which you can then follow up with a reading text explaining the reasons for the answers. You'll find both a quiz and an article which could be adapted on my site here - but it's general, not specifically US oriented. You could work up something similar though with the info from Executive Planet in the link above.
Thanks so much Sue. It's really helpful and that quiz is a must for my class!