eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Jan 9th, 2007, 10:28 am
eslHQ Member

anne1980 is on a distinguished road
Default Correcting mistakes (one-2-one)

Hello to everyone!

I teach one-to-one English lessons to a beginner, a woman from Spain. I've had some problems when correcting her mistakes as she has shown herself to be a very defensive person and a perfectionist. After a while trying to sort this problem out, I have just come up with this technique:

1. Give her a list with the target vocabulary.
2. She will be asked to write a composition using all the
words and hand it to me the next day.
3. I will correct it at home for the next class.
4. I will give her the original composition without the
corrections I have been made and I will read the corrected
composition for her to listen for any changes.
5. To avoid confrontation I will giver her the corrected
composition so she can ask the questions she feels
comfortable with. Of course her original composition would
help me to look over the points she shows weakness in.

What do you think of it?? Any suggestions??? Any other ideas would be more than welcome!!!!
Unread Jan 10th, 2007, 05:52 am
eslHQ Member

keith t is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Correcting mistakes (one-2-one)

Hello Anne

This sounds like a very good method. Self correction is the key here, so that she doesn't feel like you are criticizing her.

In a similar way, if you're doing a communicative activity, try making notes of her errors as the activity progresses - after a while you'll get good at discreetly writing while also participating in the activity! Also make notes of useful new language that comes up during the activity. Give her your notes of errors plus useful language for homework, and have her correct the errors.

If she can correct them herself, rather than you telling her what's correct, she will feel a sense of accomplishment, and also feel less threatened.

Good luck!

Keith
Unread Jan 10th, 2007, 07:28 am
English Teacher/Examiner

Whistleblower is on a distinguished road

I like the self-correction method as well myself. So, the student's paper has like a number in the left, or right, hand margin to illustrate how many mistakes are in the sentence. I then get the student to study a little relevant grammar and come back to the next lesson with a corrected piece of work.

If after some attempts that it is incorrect, I like to write a similar sentence with the correct vocab. and grammar. I then ask the student to write the sentence correctly that she tried and always give the learner the autonomy and motivation to learn at home after class.

Btw, always give the learner their original piece of written work and keep a photocopy Anne to help provide the student with some material to show improvement in writing.
Unread Mar 6th, 2007, 03:12 am
mind like a sieve

HUE is on a distinguished road

Have you considered an oral presentation rather than written homework? I do this quite a lot with my private students, usually about once a month. The student gets a choice of topics (or they may choose their own), and talks about one the following week. Between classes, he should research, take notes, and prepare to speak for 5-10 minutes (depending on the ability level).

It's very important to stress that you don't want a dry monologue, but rather a conversation. As such, the student shouldn't write a long speech to present, memorize, and then rattle off. He should instead have a conversation on the topic, which means asking and answering questions related to the subject... exactly like a real, dynamic conversation. During the process, take notes on mistakes, weak points, etc. Then present and teach relevant target language at the end. At the next presentation/conversation, I always remind my student of his weak points, and listen for these specifically, as well as any other relevant mistakes.

This activity works with any level of student. Beginners can talk about hobbies, likes/dislikes, and family. Intermediate students can talk about vacations, jobs, and school, or even some well-known news items. Advanced students can talk about any current event topic in the news.

Chris Cotter
www.headsupenglish.com
Unread Mar 7th, 2007, 08:38 pm
Sifu

emile is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a good method to me. You know, also, you don't need to mark down all the mistakes in her writing, especially if she has many. You could just focus on the major ones each time.

The other thing is to be straight up with her: tell her that you have noticed she is defensive about her mistakes and how would she like you to proceed with this?