eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Aug 16th, 2010, 07:09 am
eslHQ Enthusiast

excellency is on a distinguished road
Default Demo

hello everybody,
I have a question about "demo" sth that teachers have to present in order to be applied for teaching. Now I have a problem with it. I don't know how to start, from where I can start or how I can present it to the people who
are sitting in front of me and looking at me? I want to apply for adults and the book that I want to teach is "Interchang". I'll be so glad if you give me your own experiences and ways of giving demo. I'll appreciate it.
thanks a million.
Unread Aug 16th, 2010, 05:23 pm
eslHQ Zealot

bread_baker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Demo

Do you mean a demonstration lesson in front of a group of students plus whoever may hire you? What level of ESL do you want to teach? I've never heard of the book.
Did you pick it, or did the school tell you to use it? How many minutes are you expected to take?

Last edited by bread_baker : Aug 16th, 2010 at 05:24 pm. Reason: spelling
Unread Aug 17th, 2010, 01:29 am
mind like a sieve

HUE is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Demo

Excellency,

As someone who interviews and hires teachers, I personally don't like the demo very much. It's soon obvious how much a teacher knows as the interview progresses, assuming that the person asking the questions is him/herself a qualified teacher. In addition, most teachers can pull out a perfect lesson, the one they have practiced again and again for demos... and which are completely unreflective of their actual teaching skills.

If the person asking the questions doesn't know much about teaching, then the demo is basically used to see if you're okay. In other words, that you have some idea around the classroom, with an activity or two up your sleeve.

When you do the demo, which likely won't last long, explain that you intend to do a brief warm up followed by a quick presentation and drill of the target language. Further explain that you would expand on the drills, monitor, and elicit examples to gauge comprehension before moving onto freer practice. This should get you through the demo fine.

Hope this helps!
Just print and teach materials at Heads Up English.