eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Sep 12th, 2007, 04:06 pm
eslHQ Member

agentrv007 is on a distinguished road
Default Easy English Reading

One of my students came up to me the other day and wanted to try and read something on her own for pleasure but she didn't want anything too difficult or too childish. I had trouble suggesting anything for her...all of our ESL readers' books are either too simple or too childish for her. I want to put her out there in the world of books but don't know any authors who keep their language somewhat simple. Does anyone have suggestions? She is probably at an intermediate level.
Unread Sep 13th, 2007, 07:13 am
eslHQ Member

ranabjam is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Easy English Reading

Hi,

I have been having the same problem but I can suggest a couple of books for ESL readers which are both interesting and not childish.
1. Oxford University Press have a series called "Hot Shots" in different levels and they are interactive books with a quizz built into the story.
2. Oxford University Press "Domino Starter " series written in a comic style. Lots of pictures and an exciting story.
3. Oxford University Press "Bookworm Starter" which are comic strip stories.
4. Express Publishing have a range of ESL books .I read "Journey to the Centre of the Earth" by Jules Verne retold by Elizabeth Gray. It includes a book, audio book and a DVD.

Hope that helps

Regards,

Randa
Unread Sep 23rd, 2007, 07:08 pm
eslHQ Member

dania is on a distinguished road

I am also looking for suggestions for my adult classes. Penguin readers don't offer much variety for adults in beginner levels. Fairy tales and the such are not much interest for adult learners. Nor are Tom Sawyer or Captain Hook such stories. Can someone suggest actual books that may appeal to adult efl learners? Even my daughter, who takes as efl at school is not interested in the graded books available. We had to search the net for popular teen books, then see if we could find it on amazon.ca. So you can see if teens aren't even interested in the efl books sold, how shall we find one that interests adults. I myself am in Quebec, and French not being my first language, find it very hard to find books of interest ei: adult content and language, and story lines that interest me in an intermediate level French. Do they exist? Do beginner or intermediate level English books exist for adult learners?
Unread Sep 25th, 2007, 06:18 am
EFL Teacher

DaveESL is on a distinguished road

I found a website that links to various publishers of language learner literature: ERF - Useful Websites

Hope that helps!
Dave
Unread Sep 25th, 2007, 07:00 am
eslHQ Addict

michèle 2 is on a distinguished road

I agree with you it's difficult to find interesting books relative to the level of students. Either it's too complicated ( I mean too many words they don't understand, or too childish!!
For my students I need interesting, short and easy stories!!
As regards French ,have you tried comics like Asterix, Tintin ?
Personally ,I've read nearly all the Tintin an Asterix books in English ,and found them very useful to expand my vocabulary, colloquial expressions ect...
Michèle
Unread Sep 26th, 2007, 10:02 pm
Compelling Conversations

Eric18 is on a distinguished road

Dave's link is fantastic with links to a variety of materials that used to be labeled "high-low" meaning "High content-low skills." Sometimes classic works of literature have been modified to a fourth or fifth grade reading level, and more status conscious ESL students appreciate reading these works in English. Just a thought. You can also find collections of short stories.

By the way, I had a wonderful group of high intermediate ESL students read the anthology called "Short Shorts" edited by Irving Howe. The students appreciated the "name" authors and famous stories. You might also check out materials designed for struggling American high school students. Good luck!

Eric
eric@compellingconversations.com
www.compellingconversations.com

"Education is an ornament in prosperity and a refuge in adversity."
Aristotle, 4th Century BCE, Greek philosopher