eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Nov 25th, 2008, 05:57 pm
eslHQ Member

punch_buggi is on a distinguished road
Question Flourishing too fast

About 3 months ago, I began teaching EFL to a native Spanish-speaker. Last week I gained a new student (Spanish-speaker). Today I gained 2 more students (Also Spanish-speakers).

Mind you, I have no prior experience to teaching English (like most, I took the language for granted, now I study like crazy to try and learn what I can so as to stay one step ahead of my students)

The interesting thing about the 2 new students, is that they want a 1hr long class every day.

Does this make it easier or more difficult to plan lessons?

My guess would be... at first, it will be a new challenge; ergo a bit on the difficult side (Since apart from teaching EFL, I also work a full-time job), but after getting into a swing I'm sure things will be easier (since after 1 lesson the next day can be a quick review - then move on *yes? no?*)

BTW, Thank you to the founders, care-takers and contributors of this forum. It's been a tremendous help
Unread Nov 26th, 2008, 08:44 am
eslHQ Member

paddyfrog is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Flourishing too fast

If people keep coming to you, you can't be all bad! Keep up the good work!
Unread Dec 11th, 2008, 07:18 am
eslHQ Member

MissaFoy is on a distinguished road

Congrats on the new students. I teach ESL to 6th -8th graders in Detroit all of whom speak Spanish as their first language. I fell into this position by default, so I understand the scramble to learn all of the rules of the English language. I have an hour and a half class. We start every class with review of the previous concepts (oral and written) and the students are making real progress using this model. If you have the time, the students should benefit from the extra time. This may sound silly but ask them if they can sit down together and watch some English language cartoons together on days when you don't have class. Cartoons are a really great way to learn how to use slang and informal English.

Good luck and take care
Unread Dec 12th, 2008, 06:39 am
eslHQ Member

punch_buggi is on a distinguished road

Hi and thanks!

I never planned to be an EFL Teacher, but people were always begging me to teach them so I finally gave in and decided to "just do it". I have no prior English teaching experience, so sometimes this is a real challenge (I like it though).

With my group of students, I do a quick review of the lesson from the previous day; with my other students, I do a review of the lesson from the previous week. My group of students I know, would not sit down together and watch T.V. -- they hardly ever study or do the homework that I give them. Not because they don't want to do it, rather they just don't have time; they are businessmen (BUT, they ARE making good progress).

In just a couple weeks, they've learned about Frequency Adverbs, Present/Past/Future verbs, Prepositions (still need some work on this theme) and Auxiliary verbs (All the above because they are very inquisitive! -- That is where my challenge comes in... being able to answer their questions in the moment they ask them).

We just broke in to a new area yesterday -- describing people. They really enjoyed that class.

My problem is that I don't feel that I am well structured or, I do not really have a method to go by. I just teach what I feel will be most useful to them at the time and then move on when I sense they have a good understanding. I recently bought some EFL books from Macmillan -- Sky High. I haven't received them yet, but I'm hoping they will help to build a good foundation for myself as a Teacher, but for my students as well.

Do you have any good ideas on teaching "Telling Time" (for a 1hr class)?
Unread Jan 15th, 2009, 10:33 pm
eslHQ Member

mabuhay is on a distinguished road

thats the same way i experienced with the korean students....