eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Jul 12th, 2007, 11:13 pm
I like it hot!

Denis DNT is on a distinguished road
Default The four language skills are all connected, aren't they?

It baffles be each time I see and ad requiring a teacher to teach just 'speaking' or 'writing' etc. I find it almost impossible to draw a clear-cut line between 'listening' 'reading' speaking' and writing. I wonder whether it's the employers that are missing the point or I am the one missing the point.
Unread Jul 13th, 2007, 12:24 am
English Teacher/Examiner

Whistleblower is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The four language skills are all connected, aren't they?

From my understanding and experience, all 4 skills are connected. However, there are two divides:

1. reading & writing
2. speaking & listening

From reading/studying text books as well as other material, material could be structured into those two areas mentioned above. I like to focus on speaking & listening with my Korean students but from time to time students require text to understand the use of language.

In a normal lesson, I like to focus on pronunciation and communication skills and then gradually introduce the reading as well as some writing exercises that focuses on vocabulary.

Nonetheless, there are ways to focus on the skills of reading. You could provide some text for students to read but there is more you can do with text to let students learn how to and improve their reading skills.

For listening, I like to use some songs or pre-prepared suplementary listening activities that I have bought from the book shop nearby. This can include telephone calls, listening for detail, listening for gist etc etc.

For writing, I like to use a format for students to learn and then try to write using that format, say like a CV or filling out an application form.

Speaking is fun. Just bring some prepared board games or some role cards and let the students enjoy their lesson.

So therefore, I agree that the four skills of learning a language are all connected. Sometimes, a professional teacher is able to focus on particular skills to help assist students improve particular skills. If you have any questions regarding teaching some area of language skill please ask.
Unread Jul 13th, 2007, 12:29 am
English Teacher/Examiner

However, before I mentioned there are two divides of language skills. It depends upon which perspective you are looking at.

Productive skills include:
Speaking and writing

Receptive skills include:
Listening and reading

I recommend that you read 'Learning Teaching' by Scrivener. It is the best book out there to help you improve your knowledge of teaching English to students. It also covers the skills of language learning and how to teach particular skills.
Unread Jul 14th, 2007, 03:12 am
I like it hot!

Denis DNT is on a distinguished road

Thanks a lot. I wish I could get a copy of the book. They are rare here in Asia.
It's hard still for some of our employers to understand that, even when we focus more on a particular skill, from time to time we have to teach another skill in order to enhance the understanding of what we are teaching. I have a student in my fourth grade class who is one of the best but can't write a single correct sentence. Guess the reason; the parents always hired teachers to teach him conversation as most parents do in Asia. Now it is so hard to make the child believe that writing is as important a skill as speaking. In class he does whatever is required perfectly but once a writing activity shows up, that's the end of the lesson for him.
Unread Jul 16th, 2007, 01:18 am
Sifu

emile is on a distinguished road

Well, there was a trend towards conversation classes courtesy of the spread of the communicative approach.

Not so long ago, Denis, you would have had the opposite problem with your student, ie he could write but not speak.

I don't know why people find it difficult to find a balance.
Unread Jul 16th, 2007, 01:46 am
English Teacher/Examiner

Writing skills don't have to be difficult. In fact you can download some fonts for MS Office where it shows an outline for students to practice their writing skills. There are some other activities for writing as well.

The most popular writing activity is to show a template for writing (such as a resume, a postcard etc) and get the student to read the text. Highlight any words that are unknown for students. Next brainstorm vocabulary on the board, related to the text, to get ideas flowing. Show another example piece of writing and let students read the second text alone.

Finally, tell students that they must complete a piece of writing associated with the text you have shown. I like to do movie reviews (after watching a particular movie at the cinema etc) and post cards (try to get children to make the postcards) with students.

There are a number of photocopiable worksheets available for teachers of adult and young learners. I recommend you fork out the money to buy these materials as they will save a lot of preparation time and you can then get a library for your own personal use for students.

Primary Communication Box

Primary Grammar Box

Primary Pronunciation Box

Pronunciation Games

Primary Vocabulary Box

Primary Reading Box

Reading Extra

Speaking Extra

Writing Extra

Listening Extra

Hope that helps.
Unread May 18th, 2009, 09:01 am
eslHQ Member

paimana is on a distinguished road

Hi everybody
I need real help before thursday it is my last teaching practice and am teaching receptive skills for intermediate the topic i chose is Culture Shock and i have devised good discussion mterial, but the point is I have been criticized to not ask students only read but exploit the material to its full potential. Basically I will first activate schema, predict from pix, introduce vocab, and give the text for them to read afterwards I have true/false worksheet, then some real life situations to discuss about good/bad manners of different cultures finally will ask sts to share their experience of Culture shock if any. Now I need help with instruction why should I ask them to read the text????????????????
I need your comments before thursday plzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Unread May 20th, 2009, 05:36 am
eslHQ Addict

teachingenglishmadeeasy is on a distinguished road

Good points Whistleblower. Far too often do people think that a skill can be taught exclusively. Quite the contrary....

Free Downloadable Resources
www.ralphsesljunction.com