eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Nov 14th, 2009, 07:21 am
eslHQ Zealot

STCrowley is on a distinguished road
Default Frustrated Adult Learner

Hello, all!

I'm coming to you again with a bit of difficulty I don't really know how to address. I have a student who's been 'with me' for a long time. . . and now his English is quite good in a communicative sense. (I really need to practice teaching more discourse markers.)

The problem is that he thinks that he's plateauing with his English. There are words he forgets, but he knows he knew. And he realizes that he's making the same mistakes now that he made a while back.

Let me say this: I've told him that doing homework wouldn't hurt. (He doesn't have time. And, I teach a lot of his employees and they say he's a busy guy. I don't blame him.) And I've told him that the important thing to do is to focus on the vocabulary he needs, not all the vocabulary in the world. MY point was that he should try to spend time describing his day-to-day in his head, at least, to find the words he doesn't know. And not to worry about the words he won't use, anyway.

Anyway, any other ideas? Anything I can tell him--honestly--to keep his spirits up. Believe it or not (my school would be upset to hear this) I told him that his English is great and he doesn't need to keep spending money on small talk with me, but it's what he wants.

Thanks!
Unread Nov 16th, 2009, 06:14 pm
eslHQ Zealot

alawton is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Frustrated Adult Learner

Hello,

I get a lot of students like this. They reach a certain point and then they feel like they don't move forward. I would tell him to set aside at least 20 minutes a day to either watch TV in English or to read in English. Have him write down any words he doesn't know in a journal. Now his goal for that day is to use those words in a real conversation. Once he uses these new words they are more likely to stick. Good luck
Unread Nov 17th, 2009, 04:18 am
eslHQ Zealot

STCrowley is on a distinguished road

Thanks, Alawton. . .

This is what I tell msot of my students. Practice, practice, practice. But this guy--and he's probably my most serious student--is a real case of 'I just don't have the time.' And I try to understand that. I've encouraged him to try to think about his day in English, to pay attention when he's in English conversations for words he doesn't know. . .

But is there something we can do together, or I can tell him to do while he's driving or otherwise first to encourage him (He's not going to learn if he thinks he can't) and second, to work on vocab with a minimum of time?

-Toby
Unread Nov 17th, 2009, 03:11 pm
eslHQ Zealot

alawton is on a distinguished road

To get the most bang for his buck, whatever you do in the short time that you have, make sure it covers an area that interests him. If he is into cars read something that talks about cars. You can then discuss what you have read. The goal is to get him excited about the topic and not thinking about the English words. He will more likely remember the vocabulary from the article on cars then he will on a subject that he doesn't feel strongly about. This sounds obvious, but I know I sometimes forget this when I'm teaching English. I hope this helps!
Unread Nov 17th, 2009, 04:30 pm
mind like a sieve

HUE is on a distinguished road

Toby,

Here are a few ideas which have helped me in the past. I don't know how appropriate/applicable they may be to your situation, but you can pick and choose:

1: Set Goals: What does he want to specifically accomplish in the next few months. If he has nothing to work towards, then he can't measure progress. He also can't feel as though he is advancing. In addition, if he has some sort of goal, maybe it's unrealistic. Set a goal with him, then use that information to structure your lessons.

2: Provide materials in which he's interested. Real, relevant materials that are in the news work great for upper-level learners because they're likely talking about the same topics in their L1. Articles, broadcasts, and other similar materials also allow them to work on important skills like presentations, summarization, paraphrasing, circumlocution, skimming, scanning, plus more.

3: Give him to find something to listen to during the commute, as he works out, over lunch, etc. A podcast on a topic of interest listened during his off time feels less like formal study, so even busy people can fit it in more easily. He doesn't need to take notes, check words, etc., just listen. (This is sort of a twist on intensive reading.)

I hope these ideas help.
Just print and teach materials at Heads Up English.
Unread Dec 3rd, 2009, 01:29 am
eslHQ Member

irishhighlander is on a distinguished road

It must be frustrating for you, but I`d look at it this way. If he is motivated enough to study and improve himself, he`ll do it. With a guy with a busy schedule, he may just feel that it`s too much for him. If his company is making him take the course, there`s not much incentive to learn unless his next bonus is contingent on his doing well in the course.
Unread Jan 5th, 2010, 02:10 am
eslHQ Member

bayjel is on a distinguished road

I'd suggest a change of tack. Go for absolute accuracy in his answers, instead of just fluency. That is, every time he makes a mistake, you correct him and make him say the whole sentence again from the beginning, continually stopping and restarting every time he gets something wrong. This will concentrate his mind and make him really think about not only what he is saying but how he is saying it. He'll be constantly thinking and this make re-vitalize the lessons. Worth a try. Something different.
Unread Jan 5th, 2010, 08:51 am
clever

clevermae is on a distinguished road

I guess he really needs you to give him a push. I agree with what the others suggest. Give him reading assignments or homework, let him record the words he doesn't know or understand, or ask him about what he had read afterward. If he reasons that he is busy and doesn't have the time to read and tackle other learning medium, tell him that he needs to allot a certain amount of time each day for this if he really wants to improve. Otherwise, you can no longer do anything else for him.
Unread Feb 24th, 2010, 12:41 am
eslHQ Zealot

chokosaki is on a distinguished road

Something that could be quite easy for him to do...create a personal diary in English. He could practice lots and lots of different vocabulary this way (especially the important day to day words). The entries could vary depending on the time he has available.
Unread Feb 25th, 2010, 03:28 pm
eslHQ Zealot

bread_baker is on a distinguished road

The libraries here in California have language materials that people can play and listen to in their cars. I think something like that may be good.
Some internet sites have free podcasts that people can download. Did you try Voice of America Special English?

Last edited by bread_baker : Feb 25th, 2010 at 03:29 pm. Reason: spelling
Unread Mar 2nd, 2010, 01:32 am
eslHQ Member

Pillsbury is on a distinguished road

I only have a small blurb for this based on everything above.
If he is a busy man with employees, he probably reads the news-paper or important journals and such for business. Get the equivilant material, or tell him to get the equivilant material in English if possible. There will probably be English editions of his mother tongue newspapers available etc.
Also, (I`m not sure if he already does this) but if he is assigned reading for outside of class, remind him to read out loud to himself. The point is to get him using his English as much as possible when not in class.
I`m not sure of the nationality, but as others have said, he will have interests, perhaps hobbies. If he does then he should get online and research those interests and hobbies in English. Downloading or printing pages here and there and reading them.
As others have said, he most likely commutes. If it isn`t by car, he can read. He could also read during a snack break or day meal if it isn`t a meeting.
Unread Mar 2nd, 2010, 04:35 am
eslHQ Zealot

chokosaki is on a distinguished road

Building on what others have said on interests and hobbies....
If he has the internet why not have him join some english forums based on his hobbies. If he's into sports, join a sports forum. He could take part as much as he wants in his free time. Also, skype is a great way to practice english with others from anywhere in the world. Recommend that to him and maybe he could find friends through there. Just a couple suggestions!
Unread Mar 25th, 2010, 04:40 am
clever

clevermae is on a distinguished road

STCrowley: How are things going now? Any update on this particular student of yours?