eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Nov 20th, 2005, 09:02 pm
eslHQ Addict

fishead soup is on a distinguished road
Default Help low level students Big classes

Help I'm working in a middle school I'm team teaching with a Korean teacher who is great. The problem is our classes are broken into four levels
A high level
B high medium
C low
D really low (ADHD) need Ridlin really bad

I've done the Head and Shoulders song and tons of TPR. including jazz chants. Need Ridlin really bad.
Unread Nov 21st, 2005, 02:37 am
eslHQ superstar!

mesmark is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Help low level students Big classes

I found that low level students in general if given some other goal will turn around and do what you ask. When you think of your games or activities, don't think about what to teach them but what do you want them to do in your game. Then how can you manipulate the game or activity to use the target language (or any language) within the construct.

Easier said than done but I have sat down and turned out a couple really good games by doing this, that even the scoffers enjoyed. Stay away from good/prefect English wins or remembering wins type games. They will shut down before you get through the explanation in most cases.

If you can tell me a little more detail I can try to give you some better advice. (No promises.) Roughly, what kinds of things did you last teach and what do you want to teach? How remedial can you go?
Unread Nov 21st, 2005, 03:45 am
Administrator

Eric is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Help low level students Big classes

head and shoulders may be too childish for middle school students. they are at that age where they can be highly competitive. try to pick a competitive game where they are focusing their energy on the game and not so much on english. if they are that old yet are low in english, they know it and im sure have probably given up. try what mark said and pick a game and then pick the target language to go with it.

this one The SLAM Game (OR my favorite game ever!!!) always works for me and can be applied to so many structures and target languages.