eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Aug 4th, 2010, 03:03 pm
eslHQ Member

saverne is on a distinguished road
Default Help teaching multi-level adult class

I am teaching adult women refugees English in the US, but it is quite challenging since I have all different levels in my class. English ability ranges from practically fluent to beginner. Sometimes I have volunteers to help and I can split up the group, but usually it is just me in a small room with between 10-25 women.

Does anyone have any advice to give me on how to teach? The more advanced women get bored with simple vocabulary, but there is no way some of the beginners will understand more complex grammar. The class is 3 hours long. Thanks.
Unread Aug 4th, 2010, 04:44 pm
eslHQ Addict

Beatrix is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Help teaching multi-level adult class

but how can anyone expect you to teach a group which consists of several different levels? If I were you, I'd split the group into @classes@ according to their level of knowledge and do with them separately. You can have at least two groups, and then you can give one group something to do while you are teaching the other one.
hey, maybe you can even make groups where those who are advanced levelk teach beginners
you can even tell them that one learns best when s/he has to teach and explain things to another person because he has to make things clear to himself first
Unread Aug 4th, 2010, 06:56 pm
eslHQ Member

Angelynn is on a distinguished road

I know it is very challenging! I agree with the previous reply about splitting up the group into 2. I would suggest having a theme for the entire class. For example: Grocery Shopping
Give the Intermediate to Advanced a worksheet to introduce the topic, and that is suited to their level. Meanwhile, you can introduce basic vocabulary to the beginners. Once you have introduced the vocabulary you will give the beginners an activity to do. Get them started, and then go over the worksheet with the advanced group. Your 3 hours will be split, going back and forth. You will need 2 lesson plans for each class. I know this seems time consuming (it is), but it will totally pay off in the end. There might even be an activity in the middle of the class that involves both groups. Something more for fun, than actual hard work. You could do charades with the basic vocab words, or pictionary. Regardless of level, it will be fun to get both groups participating.
Good luck! Let me know how it pans out.
Unread Aug 5th, 2010, 05:36 pm
eslHQ Zealot

bread_baker is on a distinguished road

I agree with a lot of what Angelynn wrote. You have such a huge range. If it was me, I'd maybe divide the class into 3 groups: low, medium and high. I would plan 3 lessons for every class. I know this sounds complex, but I've done it and it can be done. I spent each class period walking around to the different groups and helping them as necessary. In planning, I tried to use activities that would take 45 to 90 minutes each. That way my lessons were not too complicated to plan and not too exhausting to carry out in class. I like to give the high students their activity first, since they may bore easily. Then once they have started, I move to the middle group and give them instructions for their activity.
Unread Aug 8th, 2010, 08:14 pm
eslHQ Member

saverne is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the advice. I will try to split the class up. I am hoping I can get some new volunteers soon so they can work with one group while I work with another. I think it may be extra work on my end, but I will jsut have to figure things out by trial and error.

I can also be daunting because I have a very fluid class- the ladies leave the program when their kids begin daycare, and then newly arrived refugees are constantly coming in. So I have a hard time building on previous lessons because a new person may not have had the material!
Unread Aug 9th, 2010, 06:13 pm
eslHQ Zealot

bread_baker is on a distinguished road

That fluid class is so typical in California adult education!
Ask the school if they can limit the new people to only starting on Mondays, instead of any day of the week. This will help you a little bit. I like to start new units on Mondays.
You will need to collect a bunch of review activitites, so that you can teach the same content again, but with different activities.
I'd also figure out who the high students are, and ask them to help the newcomers.
Unread Aug 9th, 2010, 11:46 pm
mind like a sieve

HUE is on a distinguished road

That is a pretty impossible situation, one in which is frustrating and ultimately unsatisfying for you and the class.

I would recommend splitting the class, as others have. You may be able to help students who have such a wide range of abilities, but not very well when compared to the progress the students will make if in level-appropriate classes.

I've written an article that may be helpful in classes with less of a disparity. If you have questions, don't hesitate.

Mixed-Level Classes
Just print and teach materials at Heads Up English.
Unread Aug 31st, 2010, 07:34 am
eslHQ Member

tronsor is on a distinguished road

Hi

This is always difficult, sometimes impossible. I wonder what kind of school this is. Is there no chance to split or move students? If not, I would try to divide them into groups and let them work with different material, at least some of the time.
Cooperative learning is also a way to go; Different tasks to make them talk and cooperate together. But if some of them are real beginners, this is probably too difficult. Are you able to give the beginners some workbooks or similar to provide them with work while you engage with the advanced students? Another question; do you have computers they can use. This is a good way to differentiate. Use f.ex this site: Activities for ESL/EFL Students (English Study)

Good luck
Greetings from Trond S

Find the Best TEFL, TESL, TESOL & CELTA Certification Courses - User Submitted Ratings & Reviews for Online, Distance & Abroad TEFL Courses. Over 3,500 reviews of 100+ TEFL schools!

Teach English in Thailand - Onsite and Combined TEFL certification courses in Phuket, Thailand.

Free ESL Flashcards