eslHQ

eslHQ (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/)
-   Teaching ESL (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/teaching-esl/)
-   -   How long do you expect to stay in TESL? (http://www.eslhq.com/forums/esl-forums/teaching-esl/how-long-do-you-expect-stay-tesl-4641/)

Valll9 Jun 29th, 2007 10:31 am

Re: How long do you expect to stay in TESL?

Thanks!! :)

cabst90 Jul 2nd, 2007 09:32 am

I am also currently planning my escape.

I've been in ESL for 5 years. I absolutely loved teaching English to adult immigrants in the U.S. However (at least in the D.C. area) it doesn't pay well enough to live, and I don't much like how the business of private English schools works. I don't know about other areas of the country. Multicultural, adult classes is the only ESL environment that I have loved.

I am planning to go back to school for a Ph.D in sociology.

Whistleblower Jul 12th, 2007 04:17 am

I have found my love in life for the second time. The first time was when I met my wife and the second was finding out how much I enjoy teaching.

Personally, I couldn't think about doing anything else and am pleased with what I have achieved. Currently, I would like to start my own school in Korea and it is starting to take shape. I would like to think by 2008, I will have my own English school.

I would like to do the DELTA and get into Teacher Training in a couple of years time.

I love English teaching, it is me.

clivehawkins Jul 12th, 2007 05:47 am

Quote:

Quote Whistleblower
I would like to think by 2008, I will have my own English school.

I would like to do the DELTA and get into Teacher Training in a couple of years time.

Good on you.
Just a friendly word of advice from someone who has already started a language school. If you intend to do the DELTA then do it before you open the school. You wouldn't believe how much time it takes up. I fear that, certainly for a few years, you won't have the time to study once the school is up and running.

How about sending some of that energy this way - I'm flagging at the moment!

puu_sawn May 9th, 2008 08:34 am

I know this is an ancient post (2006) but..

I answered the poll with a "for always". Honestly, it's our second job but someday we see ourselves doing more with it. Hopefully it be the only job. I'd like to somehow get involved with networking with tutors of other languages besides English and perhaps do a co-op learning center. Since I live in an area with many cultures, I'd love to arrange classes for people looking to explore other languages. French, Arabic, Portuguese etc. Now logically figuring all this out is another story.

Thank goodness I'm used to being self-employed and having weeks of basic vegi lentil stew or weeks of good bottles of wine and cheese.:lol:

Beatrix Aug 26th, 2008 02:15 pm

Quote:

Quote Whistleblower (Post 10312)
I have found my love in life for the second time. The first time was when I met my wife and the second was finding out how much I enjoy teaching.

Personally, I couldn't think about doing anything else and am pleased with what I have achieved. Currently, I would like to start my own school in Korea and it is starting to take shape. I would like to think by 2008, I will have my own English school.

I love English teaching, it is me.

:D exactly the same here, only I haven`t found my husband yet. :D

I am a bit worried about teachers` low salaries though, could anybody say something positive on that account? :confused:

Denis DNT Aug 27th, 2008 10:31 am

I have put in ten cool years but the IT is now courting me. I am pretty sure I will fall soon.