eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Dec 22nd, 2006, 06:10 am
eslHQ Member

castaway-kun is on a distinguished road
Smile Info request on ESL positions in China

Hello everybody,

First of all, I wish you all a happy and safe holiday season. Second, I am very interested in relocating from Japan to China in the near future and would like any info that you might have about jobs. I have seen wages ranging from lows around 3500 to highs of 10000 per month. Of course a lot seems to depend on the 'extras' and teaching load. Can someone who is already in a position in China tell me what is considered 'average' and what is 'good'. At present I have a very good University position in Japan, and although I know I won't make comparable money, I would still like to know what I can expect to receive (and what is required) from the better positions.

I would also like to hear recommendations (and warnings) about locations (i.e. cities) as well as specific schools (i.e. private companies/universities and/or high schools...public vs private...etc).

Thanks in advance for filling me in....and again...happy holidays to all...:>

Castaway-kun
Unread Dec 22nd, 2006, 10:37 pm
SimplyESL

simplyesl is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Info request on ESL positions in China

I think the average wage in China would be around 5,000rmb. bear in mind that you can live on almost nothing. I taught in Shanghai, which is a pretty expensive city, but you can still live pretty cheaply. I was on 8,000. Before i left, i had an offer of 14,000. For that position, you had to already be in Shanghai and have at least a years teaching experience. Private tutoring is also pretty easy to pick up. The standard rate is 150/hour, I had one private student who was paying 300/hour. I have heard about a lot of problems that people have had in China, but mine was pretty good. There were a few complications, but the school is working on them. btw i worked for Shane, which is an international company.

Any more questions?
Unread Dec 26th, 2006, 09:53 am
eslHQ Member

castaway-kun is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Info request on ESL positions in China

Thanks for the info, you have been most helpful. I have heard of Shane, but only from seeing their adds for teachers here in Japan. You are the first person I have spoken with who has worked for them though, so it is good to have some first hand information. I would like to hear about places 'outside' of the big city areas, but have a feeling the good ones (i.e. University positions) are few and far between. Anyway, thanks again for the info.