eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Jul 25th, 2006, 09:56 am
eslHQ Member

ruth1966 is on a distinguished road
Default Kindergarten

Hi all.
I have taught kindergarten for three years, but only small class sizes of 3-5 kids. For those that have taught both small and large classes, what do you do differently?
Thanks,
Ruth
Unread Jul 26th, 2006, 03:49 am
SimplyESL

simplyesl is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Kindergarten

I have taught groups of 30 kids down to 5-6 kids (age: 4-5).

I find that it's easier to get the kids interacting with themselves for a longer period of time when there are more of them.
I don't think the games I used varied that much, only how we played them.
For example, "stations/run + slap" - With a small class, everyone can play. If you try it with a bigger class you either need a lot more space or the sts have to take it in turns. I usually have 4-5 groups (roughly 5 per great). This is good because they have to listen to a) which group and b) which item of vocab.

Hope that helps!
Unread Jul 26th, 2006, 11:02 pm
eslHQ Member

ruth1966 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Kindergarten

Thanks for that comment. My concern will be about maintaining their attention when they are not actively participating in a game. I like your idea of involving all of the groups at random, rather than focusing on just one at a time.
Ruth
Unread Jul 27th, 2006, 05:26 am
SimplyESL

simplyesl is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Kindergarten

Encourage the others groups to cheer the active group on. I think this makes it more enjoyable for everyone. It also helps to focus all the sts on the action (and really eager to be in the spotlight).