eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Nov 17th, 2007, 02:36 pm
eslHQ dependant!

tsqueeks03 is on a distinguished road
Default Movies, Cartoon suggestions?

Hi!

I was thinking of showing my students a few English movies or cartoons and I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas.

Perhaps they shouldn't be too hard to understand, because they would be shown without subtitles. My students range in age from 6-12 years. The oldest ones are fairly fluent, and the youngest know only a few handfuls of words. So, the films could have a more advanced vocab for the oldest.

Thanks!!
Unread Nov 22nd, 2007, 07:42 pm
Sifu

emile is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Movies, Cartoon suggestions?

Sometimes it's fun to show series or cartoons with no words and then get the students to write down or relate the story afterwards. Mr Bean or Pink Panther are suitable for this.

Otherwise, something with visual comedy is good, something with subtle jokes or a lot of wordplay -Friends, Seinfeld- is only good for very advanced students.

I have recently shown episodes of Spooks, and also 'Supersize Me', both of which went down well with my advanced students and generated a lot of discussion points
Unread Nov 23rd, 2007, 09:10 am
eslHQ Addict

michèle 2 is on a distinguished road

We sometimes watch " Postman Pat and Paddington Bear "on TV with my younger learners. They love it but it may be too childish for a 12-year-old student!!
Unread Nov 23rd, 2007, 11:01 am
Clive Hawkins

clivehawkins is on a distinguished road

For the younger kids I love Ozmo - it's a programme aimed at teaching numbers, colours, greetings etc etc. There are songs, sketches and it's all done as a type of news programme from a studio, presented by two 'muppet-like' puppets.

As for the older ones, I often use Mr Bean. There's no dialogue but I use it to elicit language from them eg What's he doing? What's he going to do? What has he just done? What did he do before that? etc etc. With a stronger class you can even get them to create a dialogue and act it out from behind the TV - great fun!

Get TEFL qualified in Sardinia!:
Tefl in Sardinia
Unread Nov 30th, 2007, 07:36 am
eslHQ dependant!

tsqueeks03 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Unread Jun 27th, 2011, 01:08 am
eslHQ Member

paulscott2410 is on a distinguished road

Hello

I use the mr bean animated series in my middle school in Korea, the students love them and they are only 10 minutes long. There isnt a lot of dialogue but you can pause many times during the movie and ask questions, such as what is he doing? who is he? Why is mr bean sad? etc, etc and the students are engaged in this activity, i find it much more effectve in getting English out of my students. Here is an example of a mr bean animation. I downloaded 6 series from the internet. YouTube - ‪Mr. Bean Animated Series - Wanted‬‏ This is a good episode, you could even have a lesson theme of prison, depending on the type of school you teach at. I am at a school where we dont use textbooks and so i have to come up with my own ideas, so maybe working your lesson around a video is a good idea. So you can talk about a prison, who stays in a prison (guards, prisoners), why are prisoners in prison? etc etc. Hope this helps! Paul
Unread Jul 23rd, 2011, 06:40 pm
eslHQ Member

PBJ2 is on a distinguished road

Anyone for Harry Potter films for older students?
Unread Aug 1st, 2011, 08:39 am
eslHQ Zealot

chokosaki is on a distinguished road

The school I'm currently teaching at uses Disney English. The Disney English cartoons are quite great and are really just clips of famous Disney movies cut together to help teach different themes. A narrator helps teach some basic English as the videos play. There are songs as well. I highly recommend something like this.

If it's just for fun...I used stuff like Tom&Jerry and Bakkom. Bokkom is a cute, short 3d animated cartoon that is quite humorous. My younger students love it. We watch the cartoons first and then I will draw the pictures on the class whiteboard to show certain scenes in the particular episode. The students will put their own words to the story and become the actors. It's quite funny and entertaining.