eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Sep 30th, 2008, 02:57 pm
lauricias

lauricias is on a distinguished road
Question need a change in my students

First of all I'd like to say hello to everyone because this is my first time in this forum.

I need your help because I've got a problem with my teenager students and it's that they don't know how to play.

I mean, for the last 5 years I've worked for a language school that considered very important learning through teamwork, communication, games, etc. All those things that normally make the lesson funnier for everyone.
The problem is that nowadays I'm working in a new school ( you know, motherhood things) and in this school each teacher does what they consider to be the best, and apparently most of the teachers don't use this system, because my students don't know how to enjoy games, they don't know how to work in teams, how to discuss answers...

I think that some of them consider that they are wasting their time because we don't use the notebook. But, fortunately, in the same way I'm sure that some of them really appreciate waht I do.

My question is how can I encourage these people to enjoy games, to learn how to play, to learn to learn English through fun?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

LAura
Unread Oct 2nd, 2008, 02:33 am
SimplyESL

simplyesl is on a distinguished road
Default Re: need a change in my students

By doing it yourself. Get involved with the sts and show them how fun it is. Play games that focus on team work, even if they are simple (like pictionary or charades). I've had classes like this - it's all about persistence!
Unread Oct 6th, 2008, 09:58 am
eslHQ superstar!

mesmark is on a distinguished road

Yeah, with time, they'll come around. It's hard to change the dynamics of a class, but you'll get there.

I also think it's Ok to occasionally use L1 and explain to them what these activites (games) are supposed to accomplish. While you play games you also practice English and get used to speaking, interacting, and thinking in English. That's the whole point!
Unread Oct 7th, 2008, 03:45 am
mind like a sieve

HUE is on a distinguished road

It's definitely going to take time to get the students to realize that there are other (and better) ways to learn. And of course, some never will think that learning can be fun.

I agree that you should get involved in the games. However, the comfort zone of the students is quite low at this point, so perhaps some quieter, more creative activities will help. This will also help with the level of trust the class places in you. Get their trust, and you will be able to do any game any time.

Here are some ideas:

* Have students do worksheets in pairs. This will foster teamwork. To add a competitive element, time the class to see who finishes first, second, etc.

* Have students practice a dialogue. After practicing a few times, they will need to add appropriate gestures. Award points for correct use of gestures, or interesting gestures, etc.

* Interview BINGO works well, as it gets them out of their seats. If students want to seriously practice the language, they will. If students want to joke around a little in their L1, that's fine too (or at least, it is in your situation). The activity will allow students to be responsible for their learning.

I hope these ideas help.
Just print and teach materials at Heads Up English.