eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Feb 24th, 2010, 07:44 pm
eslHQ Member

FondueUSA is on a distinguished road
Default Please tell me what you think of this game.

I want to try a modified form of Jeopardy in my class today. It will focus on speaking and practicing sentences. This is how it goes. I have 13 students in my class and I want to divide them into groups of 3 and 1 group of 4. When one group hits the buzzer, (in this case uses a hammer). The whole group will have to say the correct answer together. The content is on superlatives and comparatives. I would write categories on the board such as animals, people, etc. One example is

me- "Which is big, Russia or China?

team- "Russia is bigger than China.

Anyones thoughts or criticism on this idea? I am afraid they won't be able to speak together? What do you think. Any advice will be helpful. The class is today!
Unread Feb 24th, 2010, 07:58 pm
eslHQ Zealot

bread_baker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Please tell me what you think of this game.

I teach adults. I'd be concerned that somebody in the group will give a wrong answer. If that happens, then what do you do?
You could give a number to each person on a team. (1-3, or 1-4) The first time through, the 1's compete. The second time through, the 2's compete. That way you have only one person from a team speaking at one time.
Unread Mar 2nd, 2010, 06:55 am
eslHQ Member

3DR is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote bread_baker View Post
I teach adults. I'd be concerned that somebody in the group will give a wrong answer. If that happens, then what do you do?
You could give a number to each person on a team. (1-3, or 1-4) The first time through, the 1's compete. The second time through, the 2's compete. That way you have only one person from a team speaking at one time.
I agree with this idea.

What also might work is assigning a captain to each team? I use that method a lot. Maybe they discuss for a short time and the captain says the answer.
Unread Mar 3rd, 2010, 03:55 am
eslHQ Zealot

chokosaki is on a distinguished road

If your goal is to have them all answer at the same time...give them a couple of seconds to talk softly amongst themselves and get the answer. The noise level should be kept low considering they don't want the other team to her the correct answer. Then, once they have the answer, they can share it. Just like in Jeopardy tho, the students should only have a short amount of time to give their answer.