eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread May 9th, 2011, 07:25 am
eslHQ Enthusiast

sms04n is on a distinguished road
Default Private Lessons for a 5 year old

Hello! I have been giving private lessons in Italy. I have just received a new student for English lessons that is five years old. Normally I give lessons to adults that are intermediate to advanced learners. Where should I start with her? I was thinking either stories and songs. Anyone have any suggestions? I really don't know where to start. We will be working two days a week for an hour at a time. Thank you so much in advance!
Unread May 12th, 2011, 05:50 am
eslHQ Member

sonicka_1 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Private Lessons for a 5 year old

Hi,
I teach students from 3 up to 10 yrs old. I teach by songs, chants, nursery rhymes. Dont teach her grammar, plural - nothing! Just songs and talk with her in english. She wont understand, but after couple months she will Good Luck!
Sonia
Unread May 15th, 2011, 06:54 am
eslHQ Enthusiast

Default Re: Private Lessons for a 5 year old

Thanks so much for the response! I had my first lesson on Thursday and I did a little bit of songs and games. I am going to start to read her a book this week (she really likes cinderella)! Wasn't as stressful as I perceived!
Unread Aug 1st, 2011, 04:26 pm
eslHQ Enthusiast

Default Re: Private Lessons for a 5 year old

Sonia i was wondering if you had any good websites for songs or nursery rhymes? Any would be appreciated! Thank you!!
Unread Aug 1st, 2011, 04:41 pm
eslHQ Enthusiast

Default Private lessons with a 5 year old

I have been giving lessons to a 5 years for a couple of weeks now in Italy. She learns the vocabulary really fast and is really bright. However, I can't get her to speak at all back to me. She prefers to speak with me in Italian and the problem is I speak Italian well. Does anyone have any suggestions on things I can do to turn the vocabulary into conversation? Thank you in advance!
Unread Aug 4th, 2011, 10:47 am
eslHQ Zealot

chokosaki is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Private lessons with a 5 year old

To get her to speak in English to you...you will have to motivate her! The best way to do this would be with games or some sort of incentive.

Check out Dave's ESL Cafe for some great ideas on games and teaching young children. Good luck!