eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Jul 2nd, 2010, 08:40 am
eslHQ Member

petabear is on a distinguished road
Default Summer School

Hello Everyone!
I was hoping for some ideas if anyone can help me!
For July we are doing a special summer school class and with my english classes i will have them 4 times a week for one and a half hours each class. I have decided to to a country themed month where by the first week we do England then Australia then Canada and finally USA. I'd like some ideas one what to do on these topics I have made fake passports for them and travelers diaries which they will have to write in everyday we will do roleplays in the airport / shop/ hotel/ asking for directions. I have also decided to do a news report and filming them. Anyother ideas would be greatly appreciated!
thanks
Unread Jul 2nd, 2010, 04:24 pm
eslHQ Zealot

bread_baker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Summer School

What ages or grades do you have? What is the level of your students?
Do you have multiple levels? Do you have a whiteboard and a projector? Do the students have room to move around in the clasroom?
Unread Jul 2nd, 2010, 06:14 pm
eslHQ Member

the students i am planning to do this with are from 5-7 and 8-10 i have a white board no projector though and they dont have very much room to move around unless we go outside but its quite hot for them. They all have different levels of english thanks for your help!
Unread Jul 3rd, 2010, 04:41 pm
eslHQ Zealot

Smile Re: Summer School

Ask them if they are interested in travel, in going to other countries. If they are, then you can teach about airports and other means of transportation.
In the USA we have excellent libraries with many, many books for children. It's easy to find a book for children about a certain country. You might see if you can find any library books.
What if you do a lesson each week about one food item from the country of the week? When you teach about the USA, you can teach about apple pie. You can show how to make one, make one and then the students eat it. Maybe you even help the students to make apple pies. You could then teach some cooking vocabulary, and measurements too. What if you videotaped a child making an apple pie, and the child spoke in English while making the pie? You could have different kinds of speaking activities to go with these ideas. Have fun!! By the way, for a delicious apple pie, use Granny Smith apples if you can get them. Do not use sweet apples. Also, do not use a glass pie dish. The crust won't come out right.

Last edited by bread_baker : Jul 3rd, 2010 at 04:43 pm. Reason: more info, and spelling
Unread Jul 3rd, 2010, 08:39 pm
eslHQ Zealot

chokosaki is on a distinguished road

As you teach, you can introduce some famous landmarks from the countries, show their flags, and even let the students listen to the countries national songs. At the end you could even have a matching quiz...which landmark is in which country. Or you can pick some really interesting things about that country and share it. For example, Australia has some very unique animals like the kangaroo whereas the USA has all sorts of great inventions like electricity, cars, and lots of other important things.
Unread Jul 4th, 2010, 08:45 am
eslHQ Member

Thank you so much for the ideas everyone!
Unread Jul 6th, 2010, 06:49 pm
eslHQ Zealot

If you make an apple pie, be sure to tell us how it went!