eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Jun 1st, 2006, 01:02 pm
eslHQ Enthusiast

openmind is on a distinguished road
Default Teacher Training?

Hi, how often do you attend teacher training courses? I mean do you go to seminars for teachers or similar programs? Also, how often to you exchange information and experiences with the managment of the schools or companies you are working at? As for me, I once took part in an ESL training program at International House UK and it was quite interesting. Since then I have looked for web resources and I'm quite glad that there sites like ESLHQ out there.
So, what is your situation?
Regards
Torsten
Unread Jun 1st, 2006, 06:57 pm
Administrator

Eric is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Teacher Training?

i've only been to one training conference... i imagine they are quite useful but i guess im just lazy.

it would be cool if those teaching seminars and training workshops were on the web in podcast or videocast format. that seems to be the format i prefer these days...
Unread Jun 14th, 2006, 07:33 pm
Sifu

emile is on a distinguished road

You should try some of the big international conferences if they're in town. Get your company to pay, of course.

I spoke at the BESIG conference in Singapore last year (that's not really a big conference) and I enjoyed attending the other talks. I'd say 90% of the talks were of a high standard.
Unread Jun 15th, 2006, 10:46 am
eslHQ Addict

michèle 2 is on a distinguished road

As for me, I once took part in an ESL training program at International House UK and it was quite interesting.
Regards
Torsten[/quote]

Hi, Torsten
IH in UK is a very good language school. ( I have been working for them for about 10 years now!!) Especially IH Torquay and Bath I'm one of their agents in France.
But I'm like Eric a bit lazy so I haven't been in an ESL program for a long time But the next one will be IH!!
Unread Jun 16th, 2006, 09:32 am
eslHQ superstar!

mesmark is on a distinguished road

It's very helpful in any field to stay up to date or well informed. I've never been to any programs (too busy) but I'm hoping to make the next JALT conference.

And there no lack for books about teaching!
Unread Jun 16th, 2006, 01:52 pm
Ninja Fighting Teacher

livinginkorea is on a distinguished road

I have a TEFL Diploma which I did online, intensive weekend and grammar module which I did at home. It comes to 100 hours in total and was well worth the money. It has made me realise that I want to study more and I will do my Master in TEFL later on this year.

-livinginkorea
Unread Jun 16th, 2006, 06:09 pm
eslHQ superstar!

LIK - What is making you lean toward TEFL and not MATESOL, MEd. or MA in Applied Linguistics? And where were you thinking of doing it?

I'm just currious.
Unread Jun 17th, 2006, 01:56 am
Ninja Fighting Teacher

Quote:
Quote mesmark
LIK - What is making you lean toward TEFL and not MATESOL, MEd. or MA in Applied Linguistics? And where were you thinking of doing it?

I'm just currious.
I am from Ireland so it's all TEFL in that part of the world I think. I didn't see anything much related to TESOL before I came here. It was all TEFL.

I was thinking about doing the Linguistics one but my soon to be wife is in that field and I thought that if I did that then I would be lazy and just asking her to help me

I really liked the course that I did. Of course I hate the grammar part of it but that's expected most of us as we don't think about what we say or why we say it. Since I got a taste of it I've decided to do my Masters in TEFL by distance learning through the University of Brimingham in England. It will allow me to work and study at the same time. The course will take about 2 years starting in October. It costs about 2,000 euros (2 million won give or take) every 4 months which is a module.

My main reason for doing a Masters is that in the future I won't stay in Korea and I am hoping to settle back in Ireland with an ESL job. It'll be difficult but the masters will give me more options in the future. Of course there are many other countries that I can try.
Unread Jun 17th, 2006, 02:44 am
eslHQ superstar!

Cool. I'm starting a MAAL next month with UNE. I thought about an MA in TEFL and MATESOL but just thought it was pretty much what i do and made me more narrow rather than broad. I'm hoping the MAAL adds more to my game and gives me more to work with.

I think I may follow up with a M.Ed. but we'll see.

I have a job at a nursing college now, but it's only a three year college. The school is hoping to go full medical university and I want to keep my job or be in line for a better one. That's the reason for all the motivation. And like you and everyone has said, it's great to keep going forward.
Unread Jun 17th, 2006, 11:24 am
Ninja Fighting Teacher

Very true about going forward. It's a sign of a person who cares about their job I think However starting in September I will be focusing more on company and part time work so that will be more interesting than just teaching elementary kids. Also it will affect my study as well in a good way!

Btw what does MAAL stand for?
Unread Jun 17th, 2006, 06:02 pm
eslHQ superstar!

Quote:
Quote livinginkorea
Btw what does MAAL stand for?
Master of Arts in Applied Linguistics