eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

Poll: Who should write ESL curriculum?
Poll Options
Who should write ESL curriculum?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Apr 29th, 2008, 11:23 pm
eslHQ Addict

EngliPatrick is on a distinguished road
Default Teacher vs. Scholar

Who do you think should be writing ESL curriculums?

Teachers seem to have the practical knowledge of what does and doesn't work in the classroom, but the scholar comes to the ESL table with the theoretical knowledge.

I understand the best people to make a curriculum would be a mixture of both these types of individuals but I would dare argue reality shows this isn't usually the case.

If you were forced to choose, who would you feel more comfortable writing ESL curriculum, the teacher or scholar?
Unread May 2nd, 2008, 12:14 am
eslHQ Member

sunhelen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Teacher vs. Scholar

Both should have some input. Countries that want to have successful educational systems should find people who are both well educated in their field and have actual teaching experience.
Unread May 2nd, 2008, 09:31 am
eslHQ superstar!

mesmark is on a distinguished road

I know what you're trying to get at ... ..., but

Do you know of any scholars that have written a curriculum that don't have experience teaching?

I'm betting most do.

Do you know of curriculum that defies current research?
Unread May 6th, 2008, 08:20 pm
eslHQ Member

sunhelen is on a distinguished road

In the US, usually a PhD is necessary to participate in developing curriculum. Many scholars who work do this work no actual classroom experience.

In Korea the current English curriculum is not based on any research that I can determine.

In both cases, there seem to be a lot of fads.
Unread May 6th, 2008, 10:59 pm
I like it hot!

Denis DNT is on a distinguished road

My options don't feature on the poll so I can't vote.

Is it right to completely leave out students and parents in curriculum development and later on worry about their complaints?

May be I am just being naughty. Spare me.
Unread May 6th, 2008, 11:25 pm
mind like a sieve

HUE is on a distinguished road

Most textbook writers by the big publishers (Oxford, MacMillan, Pearson) don't have PhDs. They are (or were) teachers in the field, who then tested the material written again and again. At most universities, the professors choose the textbooks for the class, too.

Here's a job ad with TESOL Journal for someone to put together curriculum, and it doesn't require a PhD: Job Opening: Instructional Designer at McGraw-Hill [TESOL Career Center]

That said, I would hope that the curriculum designers have a good understanding of pedagogy.
Just print and teach materials at Heads Up English.
Unread May 7th, 2008, 05:04 am
eslHQ superstar!

mesmark is on a distinguished road

I find that many complaints about curriculums, even my own, come from a lack of understanding what is meant to be accomplished. Individual teachers may desire different results than what was intended in the course design.
Unread May 7th, 2008, 04:05 pm
mind like a sieve

HUE is on a distinguished road

Teaching style, the dynamics of individual classes/students, the L1 of the students, and even the cultural background play a large part in the success of a curriculum, too. No textbook is ever perfect. And I've noticed that courses I've designed work well at one school, then not as well at another.
Just print and teach materials at Heads Up English.
Unread May 14th, 2008, 07:39 pm
Sifu

emile is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Is it right to completely leave out students and parents in curriculum development and later on worry about their complaints?
Denis, you want to bring the parents in on curriculum development? Eeek! Didn't Plato have something to say about this?
Unread May 14th, 2008, 08:12 pm
eslHQ Zealot

kisito is on a distinguished road

I seriously think both and not just some scholar flushing down things for teachers to suffer with. I have been through that and doesn't always work. The two are an inseparable team.
Unread May 14th, 2008, 08:20 pm
eslHQ Zealot

Quote:
Quote Denis DNT View Post
My options don't feature on the poll so I can't vote.

May be I am just being naughty. Spare me.
Good question. I think students can be represented in the curriculum development process by the teacher who understands them first hand in class. Where I teach, would be a bad idea to include parents because they themselves seldom know what is good for their kids. This only creates avenues for unpleasant exchanges. However, it is important to explain the curriculum to the parents when we are done, thereby subscribing their help in making students learn effectively.
Unread May 27th, 2008, 09:12 am
eslHQ Member

Jenny Zhong is on a distinguished road

Scholars provide the tools that talented teachers can use (and manipulate) to facilitate the ESL learning process. Parents should be made aware of these "tools" and any intended modifications...
Quote:
thereby subscribing their help in making students learn effectively.
~just a thought
Unread May 27th, 2008, 08:52 pm
I like it hot!

Denis DNT is on a distinguished road

I tell you folks, the kind of parents we have nowadays and not people we can just leave out. In my former school we were amazed by the contributions of parents. Parents are our greatest critics. It just makes sense to make them part of what they criticize everyday.
Unread May 27th, 2008, 10:17 pm
eslHQ Zealot

I think it depends on where you are. In a society where parents are well educated, they can be of much help to teachers. But I have taught in places where lots of parents want to give their children the best, but don't know how to go about it. These are usually wealthy parents with a very low academic profile(rich but had dropped outta school early to pursue business and money) . So they come up with some horrible ideas on how to best teach their kids English. It can also seem arrogant to some teachers that some parents want to tell you what to do.
I remember a parent telling me that I don't teach well because when he asks his daughter "What did you learn today?", she cannot say it. It turns out this is my most communicative student in class. The girl's father is clearly a domestic tyrant and so his daughter doesn't even feel free talking to him. So he asked for his money back because he had never heard his daughter say a word in English. It is funny that this guy doesn't even speak a word of English. After so much arguing I deviced a plan to have a chat with the girl all alone with a hidden microphone. I talked to her for 30 mins in English non-stop and she freely expressed herself as she usually did in class. I then secretly handed the mp3 recording to her dad and asked him to listen to the recording privately. He became convinced and surprised that his daughter could speak so much English. I had to politely tell him to go easy on his daughter at home. He felt a bit embarrassed.
I can go on with many similar encounters. It is just stressful dealing with such parents.
On the other hand I have taught in places where parents at least attained a high level of Education and they can be very supportive. It also doesn't take long to explain what we do to them. These parents end up helping the teacher tremendously.