eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Oct 23rd, 2006, 07:49 am
eslHQ Member

AloraAnn is on a distinguished road
Default teaching 8 year olds one to one

Hi everyone, I would be grateful for some tips on teaching ESL to 8 year olds on a one to one basis. My main area is listening and speaking.
Unread Oct 26th, 2006, 02:58 pm
Sue

susan53 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: teaching 8 year olds one to one

Hi - If I were you I would get a good book for kids of that age and level and use that as the basis of the course. You don't say how much experience you've had, but if you're newish to teaching or to teaching kids, that will take away the hardest part - deciding what and how much to teach and in what order. It should have lots of fun games, stories, songs and activities which you can then supplement with other games and so on which you'll find suggested on this site and others. Make sure it's got a good teacher's book, and use the suggestions that you find there to organise the lesson. The Teacher's Book will probably contain a set of flashcards, but if it doesn't you can download from here for suplementary activities.
Remember also that kids of that age can't necessarily sit still for long periods - use lots of action games, interspersed with "sitting-down" activities. And don't let activities go on too long - watch for "I've had enough" signs. But remember too that kids love repeating things. If you find a story that they like, they'll want to hear it again and again. The same if you find a game that they really enjoy. Keep these up your sleeve for if you see attention dropping, or as a reward for working well.
And finally don't expect miracles. Parents often imagine that if their child has an hour a week with a teacher, they'll be speaking fluently by the end of a few months. It doesn't happen like that. Be prepared to teach only small amounts of language in each lesson, and to have to recycle it a lot before it's assimilated.
Hope that's helpful.
Unread Oct 27th, 2006, 02:32 pm
eslHQ Member

Hi Susan53, Thank you for your interest and help. I am very new to this. I started with an 11 year old and have worked with her for a year. Her English has come on so well that her parents recommended me to other parents. Now I have three eight year olds. I feel that I should now do a course but there seems to be so many out there, I'm not sure which one to do. I've looked at the Join Us course to use and wondered if that would help me with the lesson plan. I say lesson but I'm mainly concentrating on speaking and listening. We play games with a lot of speaking and repetition of colours, numbers etc. Doing the classes in English as much as I can with a little explanation in Spanish when needed.
The children laugh a lot and we have great fun so I'm hoping that I'm on the correct line.
Unread Oct 28th, 2006, 01:58 pm
Sue

Hi - if they're enjoying the lesson you're half way there, probably further . I don't know Join Us but I wonder if you mean Join In? I'd certainly recommend that. They fact that you're "only" doing speaking and listening doesn't mean you don't need a coherent syllabus and course plan, and that's what the book would give you. It takes a multiple intelligences approach, and I'm sure you'd find it useful, and fun. That doesn't mean you throw your games and other activities out the window of course - quite the opposite. But the book would help you decide what to do, and when to do it, as well as giving you ideas on how.
Unread Oct 28th, 2006, 09:34 pm
Ninja Fighting Teacher

livinginkorea is on a distinguished road

Definitely like susan said use lots of action. Use lots of tpr and review here and there. Play some small games too and keep smiling! The student is so young so they will remember what their first English teacher was like
Unread Oct 29th, 2006, 04:47 am
eslHQ Member

Thanks for your help. The Join Us is the updated version of Join in so I will invest in the books and keep you posted on the progress.
Unread Oct 29th, 2006, 05:37 pm
Administrator

Eric is on a distinguished road

Hello,

You can also listen to our show at ESL Teacher Talk.com. We dedicated an entire show to discussing teaching one on one classes with an emphasis on young learners.

Check it out here:
One on one classes

Eric
Unread Dec 26th, 2006, 02:31 pm
Sue

Have just come across this article which might give you some more ideas.
Unread Dec 29th, 2006, 06:02 pm
eslHQ Member

Hello Sue,
Thanks for following through with help. I have bought the Join Us ( Join In) teachers books and intend to buy some more of the course to help with the lessons. The games and songs are going well and before Christmas we made cards with speaking practise as we made the cards.

I have bought the ebook from Shelley Vernon, it has lots of games and ideas but as yet I haven't used any.

Ann
Unread Apr 18th, 2009, 09:40 am
eslHQ Zealot

Pix is on a distinguished road

Hello there,

Here is a site for parents wanting to teach their own children English and also for private tutors teaching one on one.

How to teach a child to speak English

Watch the video demo to get an idea of the fun you can have while practising. There are also free games to receive by email.

If you are teaching online then ESL Online Games is the book for you.

Enjoy!
Shelley

Last edited by Pix : Jul 3rd, 2022 at 10:10 am. Reason: update to links
Unread Apr 18th, 2009, 09:49 am
eslHQ Member

hawaiibadboy is on a distinguished road

Teach them like an adult but much slower and adjusted to their reality.

I got kids as young as six years old that can tell me all about their week,day,previous day, previous weekend and what they will do tomorrow and the coming weekend. They also keep their own diaries in English too.

8 year old 1 to 1 = Big chance at a HUGE head start!!

Vocabulary,Vocabulary,Vocabulary
Unread Apr 19th, 2009, 07:11 am
eslHQ superstar!

mesmark is on a distinguished road

Wow, diggin' up the past. But great to have you back, Shelley!

that 8 year old is now 11!