eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Oct 17th, 2012, 02:17 pm
eslHQ Member

MomoMunich is on a distinguished road
Question Teaching bilingual children differences between English and German.

Hello!
I'm teaching an after school class of children aged roughly 6-9 years old. They all have some experiences speaking English (either have English speaking parents/ have lived in an English speaking country before/ were in a bilingual kindergarten etc.) but because the German education system doesn't start teaching English until 10-12, the parents want to give them some extra classes just so they don't forget/ don't put their knowledge to waste...

I have an idea of what I want to do, activities and games, but the parents have asked that I also focus on phonetic/spelling differences with German as there are many strict German spelling/pronunciations and very many irregularities with English. I also speak German (enough to know the differences in phonetics) so that's not worrying me as such... I just need some help thinking of different games/ excercises so the kids don't get bored!!

Does anyone have more experience on this? Any tips? Games? I've thought it through so much that my ideas are drying up!

Looking forward to some new, fresh answers!

xxx M