eslHQ Home
User Name Password
Lost Password? | Join eslHQ.com, it's FREE!
View today's posts
Search Extras Help   

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Oct 21st, 2006, 02:34 pm
eslHQ Member

sagrerasonia is on a distinguished road
Default Teaching classroom language

A good idea to teach young learners the sentences and questions to use in every day activities in the classroom I've created some flashcards with pictures and the sentence or question I want students learn.
I take pictures from coloring books where there are isolated items (desks, pencils, children, blackboards...) and I adapt the picture to my own necessities.
I've got three categories: actions (such as read, write, draw...), questions ( may I go to the toilet, may I drink water, can you help me...) and expressions ( See you, one moment please)
The pictures are just an item, for example for the expression one moment please I have a clock, or for reading I've got just a book.
At the beginning of the class I always start by showing the pictures, say the word or sentence and make students repeat, then I ask for clarification.
Another idea could be let a child be the teacher and show and say the words and sentences.
In addition I have displayed around the classroom pictures with the same sentences and words, to remind them and to help them speaking to me in English.
Unread Oct 23rd, 2006, 12:16 am
SimplyESL

simplyesl is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Teaching classroom language

Cool... but where are they?

Other ones are: "Quite/ listen, please." "Open your book/ close your book" "don't shout."